Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

I need advice about my mom?

My mom isnt abusive or anything shes just ridiculous and childish 

My mom likes to move things around in my room (i am 13) without my consent and gets mad when i try to stop her. She also keeps her clothes in my room for some reason and she has more clothes than me so she takes up 3 quarters of MY closet space. She has plenty of room in my dads closet. I was fine with it until last year when i finally wanted my privacy and peace. Whenever im doing something private in my locked room she tries opening it without knocking and when that doesnt work she demands that i open the door. It is really annoying and it infringes my privacy rights. Im pretty sure my dad could help me out but its a gamble because he could either do something or not do anything. Should i tell him?

• Foofa

Not sure what "privacy rights" you erroneously believe you have a minor child living in accommodation that belongs to someone else. But as with all things child/parent related this'll come down to a negotiation between you and your mother. Perhaps if you drop your sense of entitlement about "MY closet space" (that your parents have been kind enough to loan you) you'll be able to convince Mom that maybe half of her wardrobe should be donated to the thrift store.

You need to stop being childish and selfish. Your mom is doing nothing wrong, she never needs the permission of a child to take anything she wants, throw out anything she wants and never needs a child's permission to move anything she wants

You own nothing at all. She owns the house, the room and everything in it and you have no right to be mad at her

She also keeps her clothes in my room for some reason and she has more clothes than me so she takes up 3 quarters of MY closet space."But its NOT your closet. Its her closet. You are a child so she can use that closet all she wants. You can't own the closet or anything in it. 

You also don't have a right to privacy and since you have a locked door she needs to remove the door. 

i would just talk to her about it

Yes, you need to talk to your father about it.  A lot of parents have trouble changing the way they act as their children grow up. She still thinks of you as the little kid who doesn't need the hanging space in the closet, and needs constant oversight. Your father might be able to explain to her why you need your privacy.