Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelTravel (General)Health & Safety · 2 months ago

Is buying a premium safety razor worth it?

I am very convinced after seeing all the videos showing men using double edged safety razors on YouTube and they look more classic and old fashioned too...so I like living old fashioned...I also wanted to ask for opinions on if the safety razors are easier and more enjoyable without being harsh on the skin? Should I spend my money on an expensive one ? Is it worth buying?

No.

If you want a close shave, and paying peanuts, then use the old fashioned razor handle where you place a double edged blade in between and twist the handle to lock it in place.  The handle lasts a lifetime and blades cost a dime a dozen.  Shave using a soap bar or even liquid soap will do.

Those razors do nothing that a 20p Bic disposable can't do.

Gillette spends tens of millions advertising their razors and young men seem happy to pay £4 for one blade/cartridge. Just remember, when you buy a Gillette razor you're paying for the new Ferrari that whichever sports star they use in their ads is driving.

• Coward2 months agoReport

Exactly...

• John

One of my nephews has that retro thing going on and he showed me his vintage double blade razor.  I said yeah, but if you do cut yourself it's bad.  Sure enough, a couple of weeks later he had a big gash on his lip. My wife bought me the Gillete Fusion a few years ago and I choked on the blade cost. But it's a fact that they last a good month.  It's great.  No, disposables should be disposed of ASAP.

• Coward2 months agoReport

There is always that danger ...but if you take it slow and steady, you might actually enjoy the shave...well , all James bonds do it... shouldn't have it in a world famous movie if it ain't true

• drip

I am a women and shave my legs. I can not use cheap razors. I have course hair and cheap razors don’t give me smooth close cut. I still have stubble and my skin is very irritated. I stick to better brands. 

My mother buy a bag of cheap disposable razor and has no problem with them. So why buy more expensive razor. 

No, It's not worth it.

i dont think its worth it when a normal one does the job... thats what a real old fashioned man would do... dont get caught up in fads and stick to what works

Nope. Absolutely not. I personally have spent an inordinate amount of time finding the best way to shave. I shave in the SHOWER. I use HOT WATER and basic hand soap...to WASH MY FACE and SOFTEN the BEARD hairs. Hot water is KEY. Then I use DOLLAR STORE "Barbasol" twin bladed razors...it is as simple and cheap as that. You don't need to waste money on "special" razor...and safety razors are HORRIBLE. Knicks and cuts galore...NO THANKS!

Wash face. Wet beard...re-use soap for "lubrication" ... NO SHAVING CREAM...arggh...that stuff sucks. Shave WITH the GRAIN...then add MORE soap...shave against the grain...cleaning the razor in the shower all the time. (you can bang it gently on the wall too) Then...where ever you have "crazy directions of hair" shave every which way...over and over...keep the soap going...

You will get a shave SO CLOSE and COMFORTABLE...its like a BABY'S ASSSSSS.

Get a mirror for the shower...UNBREAKABLE is preferred...

I've always used gillete fusion 5 blade razors, never had a problem with them, but even the standard old fashion blade works more then these electric cord shavers etc

mach 3's are probably better