Can I use 2x8 for load-bearing?

I'm removing a load-bearing wall,14' wide opening, one-story house built in the 1950s The king and jack studs will be sitting on concrete footings.

Instead of putting two 2"x12'x14' can I put 4 2"x8'x14'?

If you want to drop the height to 8" you will probably need and engineered beam, and definitely need building inspector approval.

well you'll have to have it engineered plus you'll need a building permit to do that kind of structural modification just to be sure its safe and can handle it correctly. this isnt something you can just diy without someone doing the calculations. 

READ the building code. For a 14 foot load bearing opening [garage door?] you MUST use an engineered product as header.  Each has different characteristics [I know of three wood types and then there's steel beams as well] and NONE are DIY production.  This is something you BUY and have delivered and then install properly [my supporting garage walls are CBS construction and they have been filled with concrete and rebar at the door opening.]

Massive Hint:  the longest span allowed for paired 2x12 lumber is 7 feet.  And that makes various assumptions about the load over the opening ... which you've told us ZERO about.

No building inspector is going to pass ANY DIY work here. Give up that silly notion and have the needed item made ... for safety if for no other reason.  [you can't take chance that your DIY beam is going to collapse on your wife's car while she's driving into the garage, can you?]

Source(s): grampa

Most people would use an RSJ. I doubt timber would be OK over that span with weight on it. Better safe than sorry.

Both are inadequate.

You'd better ask a building inspector or someone knowledgable. Even though the four boards have more mass they have less vertical height.