So my son wants an ipod touch 7. We have metro service. Is ipod touch 7 not a phone? He says it can be used for alot of things. I don't know?

What should I do 

He says it can be used for alot of things. I don't understand why he wants it. He loves fortnite & wants to play on it.

No, it's not a phone. Google works very well for researching things like this.

It's pretty much an iphone, but it can't connect to a mobile network. He'd have to connect to wifi in order to use his internet.

I don't understand your overall point or question really.

Yes, the iPod touch is not a phone. It can do most of the things an iPhone can do, except for the phone part. While he won't be able to make calls or send texts, he can use Apple equivalents like FaceTime for video and voice chat and iMessage for messaging. Note: These services will only work with other Apple devices and will only work when he's on Wi-Fi.

So what exactly is the problem? I don't really understand why this is an issue.

Don't buy one. Teach life lessons.

it does everything a smartphone does except make calls, it connects through wifi.