Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 months ago

How much trouble with the law can this person get in? He house sat and had people over without asking.?

My friend was house sitting for this fancy neighborhood with neighborhood police. He did this a few times and had his gf over and a couple kick backs with some friends. Always careful to clean up and never steal etc. She found out and asked that he give the keys back and he was very embarrassed and ashamed. She ended up having recording cameras he was unaware about all over the house including bedrooms. She called him screaming and he does not know what to do. Apparently some couple hooked up on camera but he was not aware those were even there. He gets what he did was wrong and feels terrible. She said to get a lawyer. How much trouble can he get in? Like jail time or sue-ing or what?

Also she did not know until the neighborhood police told her to check the cameras. Again, I think it is illegal in TX to have cameras without asking. I know he should not have done it but just wondering what the logistics of everything is. 

Favorite Answer

I don't know where anyone else went to law school.  IF there was an understanding with the homeowner that there would be NO guests, he is liable for any/all DAMAGES caused by himself OR his invited guest.  His GF would be considered an invited guest.

I don't know if he can be sued.  I don't know if you are posting the truth, 100%.  What you think about having cameras being illegal in Texas is 100% FALSE.  These cameras were in the person's home.  These cameras were in place to prevent stealing - or people who had no business in the house from "hooking up."

She can accuse him of just about anything.  Whether or not she has proof - I don't know.  Would HE have to spend time and money defending himself?   Yes.  Does the homeowner have the ability to "share" the videos with, for example, the parents of the participants?  Yes.

If "he" was so careful, how did the neighborhood Police get involved?  I had a very similar situation in which my house sitter (bonded and insured) invited a "few friends" over.  In the course of the evening every ounce of wine that I had in my house "disappeared."  The neighborhood Police actually called me and provided me with photographs of the license plates of the cars that had been parked in my driveway, in front of my house.  My attorney contacted the owner of each and every vehicle.  I heard from a LOT of parents.

I needed a Police Report in order to be reimbursed by my homeowners insurance for the wine and some minor damage.

NOTE that when someone house sits (in Texas, among other places) there is an "expectation" that the property will be treated in the same manner in which the homeowner treats the property.  It's a standard of care which I think would apply here.  That means if minors don't drink in my house, minors I don't know don't drink in my house (if that is an issue).

EDIT:  The homeowner can, of course, inform the Police.  The neighborhood Police already know.  If she REALLY wants to be vindictive she can claim she "can't sleep in the same bed where strangers have sex."  A counter argument would be, "Doesn't she ever stay in a hotel?"  I have no idea how a Court would see this.

What would I do?  I'd apologize all over myself.  I'd ask my parents to come with me for the apology.  I would address any damage, and that includes the basic betrayal.  I'm sure anger right now is the overwhelming emotion, but that SHOULD calm down.  I'd offer restitution.  I'd provide any info that the homeowners asks for.  Will the neighborhood police do anything?  I don't know.

I have an HOA where I live.  I suspect they would issue tickets, even after the fact, because the rule is "invited guests only."  The argument would be if the house sitter invited them, is that an indirect invitation from the homeowner?  I doubt it.

• Mary4 months agoReport

any other advice on how to handle the situation or what he could be liable for would be great

If someone's house sitting for you, particularly if that house sitting involved spending the night there, you have to at minimum inform them that you have active video camera in that sleeping chamber.

Even if you're not the owner or permanent resident, you still would have an expectation of privacy, particularly in the bedroom.

Texas is a one-party consent state, so if the homeowner had consent from at least one of the parties involved, they can record the audio of what happened. But it sounds as if they didn't even get one party's consent, so if there was any audio recording done, that would involve criminal charges.

Also, with regards to the word "logistics"... I don't think it means what you think it means. A more appropriate word would be "legalities."

• Faith

So all that this person did wrong was invite someone to a home when they were not invited by the homeowner? No law was broken. There is no need to call the lawyer.

He is not going to get in trouble.

Unless she specifically said that he was not allowed to have house guests, most people would think house guests are allowed.

the only thing that will happen is that he will not house sit for her anymore.