Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 month ago

How to hard reset work computer?

Hi, my work gave me a laptop that they no longer needed and I’m having a hard time resetting it. It’s not letting me log into my personal email and only letting me log into an account under my works admin?? How do I fix this and make this laptop completely new?

You need to reformat the computer and reinstall Windows on it. For now it is still, effectively, a works laptop and has been built to connect to your work's network. It will be locked down at admin level to prevent you making system changes.

The only way you're going to get use out of it is to reformat the hard drive and reinstall windows. Easy if you know how or know someone who can help.

• keerok

Older laptops don't have a reset utility. If you want to delete everything in it, do it manually. You start by booting the installer of the OS you want to use with it then proceed to partition and format the hard disk. You will also have to install all the programs you want to use. Make sure all installers you use are malware free.

Legally the ONLY thing you can do is give the laptop to your company's IT department. If you attempt to reset the laptop without the company selling it to you will likely get fired or even sued for the cost of the laptop (i have had to do this on a few employees in my company as they did what you are asking)

the laptop is not legally yours and should be treated as such.

Ideally, your company's IT department should factory reset the laptop (or remove the hard drive) so that it removes any of the company's configuration. If they cannot or will not do it, you can try booting from the recovery partition. I don't know which laptop model you have, but most laptops and desktops have a recovery partition that allows you to troubleshoot the computer as well as to reinstall Windows with the OEM install. The exact way you boot into this recovery partition depends on the model. You typically press a key or key combination as soon as you start the laptop to boot into the RP.

If the recovery partition is not there any more, you can download a copy of Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 for free from Microsoft and make a bootable DVD or flash drive which you can use to install a fresh copy of Windows on that laptop.

• Bill-M

Clean Install of the Operating System. Reformat the Hard Drive.