Does she have to run premium gas only?

My wife went to crank her car today and it wouldn't start. My thinking is that it's a push button start possibly the starter had gone out. She called a tow truck and when they go to our house she said it crunk right up. They towed it to the auto shop anyway and Firestone is telling her that she put some bad gas in it. She gassed up at a 7-11 a few days ago and the car has been running fine ever since. Just today it wouldn't start. She's telling me now that Firestone is telling her that she can only run premium gas in her car. It's not like it's a high performance vehicle or a classic car. It's a 2009 Nissan Murano with more than 100k miles on it. I told her she can run regular gas in it but every now and then put a bottle of Seafoam or fuel additive in it to clean it out. Knowing my wife she's going to want to only put the premium in it because "that's what Firestone said." Again, it's not a brand new Lexus, Mercedes, or Escalade. The car is 10 years old. Does she have to run only premium gas now because she got a bad grade of gas in the tank? They want her to go back to 7-11 and I told her that would be pointless to go after them for bad gas. Just don't go back to them. Any thoughts?

For those who have mentioned it I have done some research and on Nissan's site they recommend 87 octane, not the premium.  That doesn't mean you can't use premium, but it's not required to run premium.

look inside the fill door, should tell you. my 99 town car is premium only

Regular or Premium will have no effect in the car starting. Run regular if that is what the owners manual calls for.

Why would anybody take a vehicle to a tire store for repairing a motor that isn't running?!

Just trying to keep those high school drop outs that work there employed?

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Nissan recommends using at least 87 octane Regular unleaded gasoline in that. There is no need for anything more.  It would be worth, though, getting gas in future from a more mainstream busy gas station.  They would know very quickly if there is something wrong with the fuel in their tanks because customers would be beating on their doors pretty quickly.

NEVER go to that Firestone location again. Even engines designed for premium gas wouldn't have issues after one tank of 87 octane.

Premium gas doesn't even HELP in engines not designed for it, regardless of age.

• The Devil
      1 month agoReport

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=engine+detonation+damage&qpvt=ENGINE+DEONATION+DAMAGE&FORM=IGRE

• JetDoc

"CRUNK"? WTF is crunk? Come back when you can actually write words in the English language!

• dtstellwagen
      1 month agoReport

I thunk it would be a good word to add to my lexicon

GEEZE, Do you go to McDonalds to to buy baby diapers? WHY go to a tire store for auto repairs?

These people aren't technicians The gas is not bad. You have a 10 year old car, and something has failed. Find out what failed and get it fixed.

I don't know about other states, but in California, gas station's tanks and their gas is checked periodically

• Trump 2020
      1 month agoReport

And shocks or anything else they can convince you the car needs, whether it needs it or not. They're famous for that.

Some engines are designed for premium gas.  If a car uses premium gas, there will be a sign, either close to the gas gage or on the gas door, that says 'Premium Fuel Only'.  The Nissan Murano is in this category.  Look for that sign and you'll see.

Now the ONLY advantage of premium gas is 'knock' resistance (also called 'pinging' or pre-ignition).  This is that pinging sound you hear sometimes when you step on the gas pedal hard.  That's the gas in the cylinders burning before the spark is supposed to ignite it, and it can damage an engine over time. 

Modern cars (like the Murano) are run by computers. The computer can detect this knock before you do, and retard the timing a tiny bit to compensate.  This is one reason you don't hear pinging in modern cars.  So you can put regular gas in a car made for premium nowadays.   You'll get a little less power, maybe a little less mileage, but it won't hurt anything.

In my life I've observed that it's pretty much useless to try to talk a woman out of some idea she's decided.  Women will ask your opinion, but if it's not what they want to hear, they'll just tell you they're wrong.  I know a woman who has a car that's meant for regular gas but she's always put premium in it because 'the salesman told me regular gas is dirty!'  Dumbest thing I ever heard, but try to tell her that's wrong.

It's HER car, and if she doesn't want to listen to you, she can do whatever she wants.  You gave her your opinion, that's all you can do.

BTW mechanics often claim 'bad gas'.  But 'bad gas' is not the chemical formulation of the gas, it's that the gas has stuff in it, like particles.  If it was really bad gas, you'd see dirt in the gas filter.  It's a hassle to get to the gas filter these days because it's in the gas tank where the fuel pump is. 

• Patrick1 month agoReport

If she doesn't want to listen to my advice then I'm of the mindset to never ask me to fix anything else.  Pay a repair shop to fix whatever you think is the problem and leave me out of it.  Don't keep asking for my opinion then turn your nose up at me when I give it to you.

Honestly - I don't know which is worse . . . getting gas at 7-11, or service from a tire store.  I wouldn't do either and suggest you buy quality fuel - around here it's Shell - and ask friends & neighbors to recommend a reliable, independent, experienced garage.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

.. check ignition wire snugness, change air the filter,
      & chnge the engine oil & oil filter with top quality Correct weight oil(maybe top quality synthetic oil) & top quality oil filter;check/replace all sparkplugs with Correct top quality sparkplugs;& check for Any fresh adjustments of tierods etc

• Mark

Some gas stations, on purpose, or by accident, add water to their underground tanks.  She had better start going to another filling station.

• Anon
      1 month agoReport

They did this during WWII, , but, nowadays, due to leaky tanks alcohol in gas and seepage, doesn't Happen. Any "water" is thru this leakage.  See how many empty gas stations concerted into  restaurants? When  tank leaks, often too $$ to repair properly and owner sells property.