SW-6
Lv 6
SW-6 asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How are you dealing with older dog who will not use the stairs?

Wondering how others who may have been used to upstairs dogs now having to do it all downstairs.  :)

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

It may be too painful to climb stairs now, where it wasn't before. Age limits mobility. Arthritis, hip dysplasia & other old age things can really hinder a dog or any animal with it, including us.

Sometimes you just have to modify your life cause of changes like this. It is hard to watch them get old.

• Login to reply the answers
  • In
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Install a catapult at the bottom of the stairs, buy a single level house, or get a dog who can handle the stairs.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Personally I use a shock collar. 

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the dog is happy being left downstairs then I don`t see the problem. It`s not essential for dogs to go upstairs, if downstairs is part of the living accomodation of the house.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I don't have stairs but why would you force the dog to use stairs when it probably HURTS the dog? Let the dog stay downstairs. If he tries to follow you up put a gate at the bottom of the stairs.

Have you gotten this dog to a vet to see if there's medication or supplements it could be on? And what is "do it all downstairs" mean? Are you letting him piss and **** in your house?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I blocked the stairs so she wouldn't try to climb them and relocated her life to the first floor.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

What else would you do but put all the dog's things downstairs?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I've moved my bed downstairs, my old girl took so long to get up each night it was easier. 

• 1 month ago

My dad built a ramp for our outside 3 steps for in the house id just move its living space downstairs like his beds and stuff

• 1 month ago

It's great! I don't have to climb the stairs anymore!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.