Daniel asked in TravelAir Travel · 2 months ago

I got sick from an airline and it ruined majority of my holiday. Can I claim some compensation?

Brief summary of the incident: This flight took place between Singapore to London Heathrow with the airline British airways. A passenger (seated in front of me) on the plane was throwing up prior to doors closing and was approached by staff on whether he was fit to fly when he replied yes. My opinion was no. After taking off this passenger continued to throw up for the 15 HOUR FLIGHT! The flight staff even required a doctor on board to administer an injection to subdue the vomiting. Not only was it an unpleasant experience to which the smell and the sounds made it almost impossible for me to eat a meal but a couple of days after landing I had developed the same symptoms as this passenger. I had to cancel plans to see family on my holiday as well as tours and sightseeing. I know for a fact that this passenger would have been removed from the plane had he flown with another airline as it is a risk to other passengers if a sick person with contagious symptoms is allowed to fly. If anyone has any information regarding this subject or if I have a case I would appreciate any replies. 

Thank you all for your replies

Update:

I have already made complaints to the airline and called customer service and they ensured me they would investigate and reply but it has been weeks since I have contacted them.

Update 2:

Well thanks for your answers. I would like to say that I was in fact in the right as I have now been refunded the full cost of the flight as well as compensations for my troubles. Anyone else who may experience this problem I would like to advise that you continually follow up your claim with the airline as they may not respond to your initial complaint.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Talk to an attorney, good luck.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Did you ask at any stage to move?

Once the flight was in progress, there was no way to de-board him (you can't just 'get off' a plane...)

• ...Show all comments
    • Daniel1 month agoReport

Also I did ask to move but the flight was fully booked and there were no seats. Please read my question thoroughly before provided answers that don’t solve anything.

• John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'm another ignorant **** so I'll just keep it to myself.

• Daniel2 months agoReport

Look mate I’m just asking for advice not looking for assholes.

• 2 months ago

No, people are just always prone to getting sick on airplanes. Turbulence makes people sick. That would be like asking for compensation after school bores you and it ruins your day

• ...Show all comments
    • Daniel1 month agoReport

because you’re actually a dumb **** and don’t even read the question I’ve asked and then give me some bullshit answer. This man was sick before the plane took off and you’re saying that I should have got off the flight and not him. Seriously have a think about what you’re saying.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.