Anonymous

To drop out or not to drop out?

I just finished my first semester of my junior year at my university. My school believes I make too much working where I do currently, and residing with my father, so I was not offered any scholarships, grants, etc, for next spring. I’ve been thinking about the possibility of dropping out for a while now, as I talked with my advisor about changing my major, because I did not want to attend Veterinary School (current major is BS PreProfessional Veterinary). Yet my advisor pushed me with the words “you are so close to getting your degree” and followed that up with “you can always use it in other ways, such as for a manager position at your job (because they usually require some form of degree).

I understand how close I am, it does seem like a waste. I’m only roughly $2,500 in debt to student loans, but with my last 3 semesters not being covered at all, that puts about $15,000 (a little less) extra in loans on me. I’m really not trying to be paying this off the rest of my life. Honestly is it even worth getting for the slim chance of using it for a job position as my advisor mentioned.

I have talked to my father (the one who pushed me into pursuing a degree to become a Veterinarian). He claims it’s my choice, but I can hear his bias, and how bad he wants me to get the degree. Honestly I’ve even thought about just taking some time off school and saving money, then seeing if I want to go back. I just don't know what to do.

Ultimately it is my decision, I just need advice. 

• MS

Finish your degree.  $15k in loans isn't bad at all.  If you can change your major to something more interesting or relevant to you, without adding time to finish your degree, then consider that.  But you are awfully close and it would be a shame to drop out now. 

• drip

Vet school is extremely difficult to get into and very expensive to attend. What job do you want?  Then get the education for that job. You can not roll your classes over to a science major, biology, chemistry??

• John

Someone beat me to this point, but most cars nowadays cost much more than $15K.  I noticed you mentioned several times that you feel others are pushing you toward decisions.  Perhaps the real problem is that you feel you're being browbeaten by others to do things you don't want to do.  While your financial argument is not a good one, you do need to consider if you are not on the path you want to be on.  

• Lv 7

Finish the degree. I had 26 grand in student loan debt and paid it off in 1.5 years. You can definitely pay off 15 grand fairly easily once you graduate and get a job. Many companies do not hire people without a college degree.

People pay more than $15,000 for a new car. If that's all it's going to cost you to finish your degree and open up a very lucrative career, finish school. But, compare this to your ability to earn as you are today. Plan also to someday retire.

Get the degree. Once you have the degree and get a real job, you should be able to pay off a $15,000 loan in less than a year, if you're frugal.