Will Bluetooth for underwater ever be invented?

Currently for bluetooth they use a 2.45 GHz radio frequency, which does not go through water. Those are very low power frequency waves. However, I think this could be a good invention to look into or invent some kind of other frequency that could move through water better. This would be of good use to swimmers or just people exercising in the pool, that want to have waterproof earbuds in. Do you think this will ever be invented or do you know if they are close on a breakthrough in technology? With the rapidly increasing technology in today's age, I don't see this as something that would be that hard to create. Thoughts?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Zirp
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. the only radiowaves that go through water are longwave and very long wave. That's frequencies below a few hundred Kilohertz, which means limited bandwith

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    • That's not a bluetooth device...that's an MP3 player...stop answering just to get points...

• Jay
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

it already exists

• 1 month ago

The technology already exists. We have submarines that can communicate with satellites.

What you're really asking is if that technology can be made available to consumer products. Unfortunately, the answer is no.

However, it is possible to transmit information via ultrasonic waves, which do travel through water. So you can conceivablyoperate using those. Its orders of magnitude cheaper and less complicated to just use corded earbuds though.

It's a niche market.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

you don't "invent a frequency", they exist. 

Water is relatively transparent to visible light, near ultraviolet light, and far-red light, but it absorbs most ultraviolet light, infrared light, and microwaves. So any transmission thru water, aside from the VLF used by the US Navy, would have to be in the visible or UV range, both very directional. UV is too dangerous, visible light is just that, visible.

No, I don't see anything in the near future, but I'm sure the various navies of the world are working on it. 

Sonar is a real possibility... not electromagnetic, but capable of medium distances and medium bandwidth. But very limited as to total bandwidth, ie, number of channels.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.