How do I use solidified bone broth?

Have made a big batch of bone broth and it’s completely turned into jelly in fridge. To make a cup of broth do I have e.g a desert spoon and add water or do I have it whole and just heated it up?

When making bone broth it's normal to extract gelatin from the bone that jells the finished product. When heated, the broth will revert to a normal viscosity. I prefer to de-fat the broth, then heat and use it at its original concentration.

Start by simply heating it to the desired temperature.  The gelatin will melt when heated.  Then you just have to decide if you'll like to thin or dilute it further with a little water.  You can add water, but it is hard to take it out.

It will melt back to liquid when it is heated.

Never heard of it, I can understand why its turned into jelly though. They used to make glue from bones in the olden days. Jelly, if you heat any jelly substance up its going to liquefy, try heating it up L a u r e n.

The jelly texture comes from the fat.  As soon as  you heat it up, it will be fine.  Don't remove any of it, either, because this is also where the flavor comes from!

• Janet
      1 month agoReport

Fat is SOME of the flavor. I usually remove most of the fat (about 3/4 of it) without sacrificing any of the flavor.. What makes it gel is that you have boiled the gelatin out of the bones, not the fat.

• denise

Just use the quantity you need, say 1 cup, use a cupful as it is, then it will melt / dissolve down when you heat it.

Just reheat it.

just heat it up and then taste.

Did you know that bone broth and gelatin is basically the same thing?

When you make jello, you are using a defatted and clarified and then dried bone broth....

You don't need to dilute it with water.  It will make a nice rich soup if you just heat it up and add some flavoring or vegetables and turn it into a rich vegetable soup.  I like to add it to riced cauliflower and onion powder to make it into a keto riced cauliflower dish.  You can add cheese and call it cheezy cauliflower rice.

• Mark

Just heat it up.  You can put a tablespoon of water or sherry in it, if you like and strain it.  You have basically made aspic, which is nice for glazing cuts of meat.