Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

Can you use a Ford F 150 as mostly a commute car?

I really prefer larger cars because I have better control with them. I like larger cars more than smaller sedans for me personally, so I am looking at buying a larger vehicle. I was wondering, though, would a Ford F 150 be okay to buy if you are mostly using it to commute to work, drop and pick up others, grocery shopping etc. I would only camp with it a few times a year, and I would not really be towing anything with it.

Can a Ford F 150 be bought mainly as a commute car? Or would it mainly only be for people who are towing and doing a lot of off road driving?

What larger vehicle models and brands would you recommend for mostly day to day driving?

• Erik

No, the whole point of a "commute car" (aka daily driver) is that it is good on gas, so you save money.  An F150 would be the opposite of that.

Farmers, ranchers, and construction people use it as their daily driver.  Because it is a utility vehicle...it can do other "jobs too".

It is not an economical vehicle...with a large motor.  It is a Truck...and never will be a car.

I watched a Honda Ridgeline pick up review last week.  It’s based on the pilot SUV.  Totally redesigned, more roomy and best  fuel economy.

...said it is by far the smoothest driving and best handling truck on the market.

Good luck! 

You will need to change your phone number as you will be getting a lot of calls to get something from Home Depot, to move some plants, to help with a cousin moving, etc etc.

Sure, money is no object and who cares how much gas it eats?

• Mark

Of course, but realise it IS front-wheel drive and that it uses more fuel than a sedan or even an SUV.

• KY-Clay
      1 month agoReport

An F-150 is either RWD or 4WD it is never just FRD. 

• Jay P

Lots of people do exactly that...

Be aware your fuel bills will go up.

You will also become more popular with your family and friends anytime anyone is moving.

Sure you can 😉

• ioerr

tons of people use them that way and yes i hate them

• .

Of course you can.  Gas mileage is your only real issue.  I drive a full size pick up.  But my work is only 3.4 miles away.  One of the original reasons I bought it was because it seats six and the backseat is roomier than a minivan.