Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

My dog is a German Shepard and when I take him for walks he behaves very hostile towards black people ?

Why is that, is he a racist? 

Favorite Answer

Dogs can sense danger. It is not "racist," but rather instinctual.

• “My dog is a German Shepard and when I take him for walks he behaves very hostile towards black people”

🤢 1: Why are you hiding behind the [Anonymous] label? People who do that are cowards – and usually because they are also one or more of: idiots, obsessives, ranters, trolls.

🤢 2: What’s a German Shepard? Y!A red-lined it to tell you that there is no such word as “Shepard”, alerting you to find the word you really meant - but you ignored that help.

FYI, “my” breed is a HERDing breed, primarily controlling and guarding sheep – which is why the second word in its 3-word English name starts with MOST of “sheep” and ends with “herd”. But because the true breed is so versatile it is also at or near the top of the dog-breeds for almost any task that doesn’t require something as small as or smaller than a Fox Terrier to be able to fit into underground burrows. It’s real breed-name is Deutscher Schäferhund, which requires 3 words in English. Go to: http://www.fci.be/Nomenclature/Standards/166g01-en... to find out the breed’s name in 4 languages, plus what the breed’s requirements are for such as character, pigmentation, self-control, size, trainability.

🤢 3: In what WAYS is his behaviour “very hostile towards black people”? (WE are not clairvoyants (= mind-readers), although some answerers act as though they think THEY are!)

🤢 4: What do YOU do to restrain & calm him?

🤢 5: Which of the following does he also display “very hostile behaviour” towards:

AmerIndians, Asian Indians & Pakistanis, Chinese, Indonesians, Japanese, Polynesians (Cook Islanders, Fijians, Hawaians, Maoris, Rarotongans, Samoans, Tongans), Spanish-Americans?

🤢 6: How old was your GSD when you got him? What was his character like at the stage?

🤢 7: How long have you had him? How many months have you been in a weekly training clas getting COACHED on how to become an ALERT,  COMPETENT trainer?

That first field is supposed to end with your MAIN question. But I can find NO question there.

If this is your very first entry to YahooAnswers:

To answer those, click the [Edit] under your question, then the [Add Update] that will pop up, followed by typing your responses into the empty area that appears.

After you’ve checked & corrected your typing, click [Submit] to irrevocably “glue” your new stuff to your old stuff.

So the next bit IS your question, but shouldn’t be way down here:

• “Why is that, is he a racist?”

No idea – but as per the insinuation of the 2nd [Anonymous] & and the rude outright accusation of the 3rd [Anonymous] answerer I consider it VERY likely that YOU and/or the GSD are. You’ve told us NOTHING about your GSD’s parents, breeder, previous owner(s), experiences. Nor your own....

If YOU are FEARFUL of something – whether a snake in the grass, or a person looking like someone who has hurt you in the past, or is demonstrating aggression towards you - your body releases hormones (ACTH {AdrenoCorticoTropic Hormone|, cortisol, epinephrine, norepinephrine) into your bloodstream: https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323492.p... and the odours of those hormones emerging from the pores in your skin is detected by your dog, alerting it. And if the dog had a cruel previous owner, anything looking or smelling like that previous owner will trigger your dog.

But it is also VERY possible that you are the problem, through ignorant failure to perform the “familiarisations” needed before a pooch reaches 3 months old.

King Les The Lofty - first pup in 1950, GSD breeder & trainer since 1968

• PS: Back when Best Answers were VOTED FOR if the Asker didn't choose one within a week, my "success" percentage was 80±% - demonstrating that the experienced people are better at choosing the BEST answer than are most of the askers.

I am also a German Shepherd. We don't take kindly to darkies. 

Source(s): The rocking horse took my brain.
  • Jojo

Possibly because the black person has dark features which to the dog may appear unusual if it only mostly sees white people. Some dogs bark at people with beards or at someone who wears a certain type of hat or limps or has some other affliction out of the norm, that confuses the dog. I had a dog once that was a very amiable character but always became anxious and would bark at anyone wearing a large brimmed hat. Its a dog thing and we mere humans can only guess at why they do what they do at times. Jmo.

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years.

No, but you're a race-baiting, low-life troll.

• Ken3 weeks agoReport

Weak.

Your German WHAT?!!!

He is only picking up on your fears. He can smell fear before you are aware of it yourself. Are you a racist?

Damn, I thought it was a quirk that one of my now deceased dogs had. Back in the mid through late 80's we had a female Doberman that would go absolute bonkers when my wife's newly hired apprentice would come to work. And it would try to attack her. We never had that problem before with any of our dogs. Because we socialize all of our pets with everyone irregardless of race. This young girl(black and 17 years old)would trigger the dog the second she walked in. TBH, I secretly thought it was because of her race also. It turns out that this young girl was cleaning her hair with vinegar and oranges(a huge fad at that time among blacks)as a homemade "process" to straighten kinky hair. After she stopped using those products. The dog was fine with her.

Now, I can't say what the problem is with your dog. But it MIGHT be a smell from a product that they're using. The users that claim you're "transferring or telegraphing" your racism to the dog are full of donkey crap. And have no idea WTF they're talking about.

Not in the way you understand it. The dog does not have a concept of race. Dogs often react strangely to unfamiliar things or things that are different from what they're used to seeing. I've had dogs who didn't care for people with hats or backpacks. I've had a dog who didn't like teenagers, or people in leather jackets.

Dogs aren't racist, they pick up cues from their owners about approaching people.

• *****

No, he's not racist. Dogs can fear that to which they have not been exposed in a positive manner. Clearly, you did not socialize your dog with people of color and he is of nervous temperament and not a confident dog.