If I have the serial # for a gun would I be able to find out more about it?

I purchased a S&W .38 special(police turn in) model 10-7. I don't know when or how long ago LE actually used a revolver. I just wanted to know just how much history I could find. Like maybe the original issue date, place, LE. Maybe how many were issued in this model 10-7. Anyone know what info I actually can get? Thanks to all.

Guns are banned so you can't do that.

• Brian1 month agoReport

You and Gary need to get a room...You seem to be made for each other. So much in common...You're both F****** IDIOTS

You can visit the S&W web site.  Most all gun and other manufacturer's have put serial number and model number information online.

You can also call their customer support.  I called Kimber on a nice 1911 - the woman who answered the 800 toll free number didn't even have to transfer me to anyone else.  In less than 30 seconds she told me the exact year, month and day it was made.  They also told me the distributor it was shipped to from the factory.

This does not always work.  Some companies - especially with rifles and shotguns - the serial numbered part is mass produced and could end up in storage for years before finally being assembled and sold.  Here, companies will have a stamped date code - usually on the barrel for rifles and on the receiver for shotguns like pump models that have easily interchangeable barrels.  Then there are companies like Walther that has a 2 or 3 letter date code as part of the serial number.

Hope this helps.

Guns are banned. Seizing will wrap up on December 23rd. Hunting will be banned on December 20th to ensure that the animals can have a good Christmas and not have family members to mourn.

• Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Darby! Excited for Christmas? I’ll be too busy to be on here on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.

• Adam D

Smith and Wesson has a serial number lookup options (Google it), I don't know what information it will provide though.  I would guess it would give you the date of manufacture.  As for where it was issued or when, you'd have to attempt to trace that back through LE agencies probably.

It looks like the Model 10-7 would have been produced from 1977 to 1988.  Model 10 variants were one of (if not THE) most popular revolvers ever made.  Millions were sold, and many variants had shorter production runs than the 10-7 (when they changed a design feature, they moved on the the next -#).  They were extremely popular with various LE agencies, as well as groups like armed prison guards.  So how many were issued?  LOTS.

• Adam D
      1 month agoReport

And someone, rather than continue the discourse, decided to report my last comment.  Coward.