Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

My 2019 Toyota Sequoia was in an accident. Insurance of at-fault person is repairing the SUV.?

Insurance claim adjuster gave me a Toyota Corolla despite my demand of a bigger car/SUV. Is that fair? What are my options?

Favorite Answer

State laws vary, but in general you are entitled to a rental that is materially similar to what you lost due to the accident.

Insurance will always try to give you the cheapest option.

If you drive a Sequoia because you just like big SUV's then suck it up and drive the Carolla for a few days while your car gets fixed.

If you drive a Sequoia because you have 4 kids and you have to have room for their car seats so you can get the family to & from activities around town, then you have a valid complaint to ask for a larger vehicle at no cost to you- bear in mind that probably means a mini-van when dealing with rental cars. If they give you a car with about the same passenger capacity that's the most you can reasonably expect.

Do you mean as a loaner vehicle?  Yeah...you dont really have a choice if they have limited options available.  My local body shop doesnt have any SUVs available as loaner vehicles. 

If you have rental reimbursement on your policy, use it.  Otherwise, fight with them...

You can always pay for your own rental car in the interim and get whatever you like.  I was in an accident once and my insurance provided me with a huge SUV as a rental car (I drive a compact car) because they said they didn't have anything smaller.  I refused and just took the bus.  Not a big deal.

Go to your quiet place and dry your tears.

Yes it's fair.  Your options are to drive the Corolla or to get a larger vehicle at your own expense.  

• Mark

Is your car being repaired?  If so, will it REALLY emasculate you to drive a Corolla for a couple of weeks, and if so, why?

If it is permanent, that is not "fair".

• Coffee Drinker
      1 month agoReport

Most people who drive a large SUV need the space because they have a family, not because they're concerned about being emasculated.

Do not push your luck.  You got a vehicle.  That is what most insurance companies give you, a ride. 

• Casey Y
      1 month agoReport

Next time, take it to a body shop YOU trust.  You dont need to use their body shop.  Dont take it to a dealership as they inflate their prices and insurance companies wont pay for that...you'd end up paying the difference.