e___e asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

I just got a borzoi puppy, is it okay to raise her in my apartment?

I adopted a borzoi because she needed a home. The humane society said that she was fine to be raised in an apartment because they are low activity in doors and will not bark much to disturb neighbors. I have a gated yard that is my apartments property so she’ll get plenty of outdoor exercise at least a few hours a day. 

Can anyone confirm that she won’t be a disturbance and also won’t be depressed because of the lack of indoor space

Where do you live - FANTASYLAND? A Borzoi puppy from a SHELTER????? You're either a troll or extremely delusional - or both.

That's also COMPLETE bullshit that a shelter would tell you a SIGHTHOUND like a Borzoi is "low activity". They would NEVER adopt a dog like that to someone in an apartment.

Yes, Borzoi dogs are generally good apartment dogs. As long as she gets plenty of exercise, then she should be fine.

However, since they have a strong instinct as a breed to chase after small animals which they may see - like wild birds and rodents for example - I would very strongly recommend that whenever you're walking the dog in public, you keep her on a lead all the time. You should only let her be off lead if she's in a secure, enclosed area which she cannot get out of.

Hope this helps.

No, no one can predict/confirm how someone else's dog will behave.

She needs exercise every day, but borzois are not vastly active dogs. They WILL, however, chase anything that moves, so if she gets out she will go after cars, dogs, cats and rabbits/squirrels. Keep her on leash when she's not in a secure backyard.

You have to be kidding. Or trolling. Borzoi's are fantastic pets IF they have room.  You had better give the dog plenty of exercise. Good natured, gentle and calm, the borzoi is an aristocratic breed exhibiting sensitivity and a sense of humor. The borzoi is happiest when entertained by an activity that involves running. You are going to regret this. 

• Maxi

No one can confirm that your new dog will not disturb others, that will depend on the dog/owner, if you are walking her daily. training and socialising her it is less likely she will disburb other people

That comes down to you training the dog and providing enough exercise and mental stimulation