If you don’t press charges on someone for assault but it’s recorded can it be brought up in court for a separate case ?

I got mad at my boyfriend for doing meth and driving with our son high, so I kicked him, he didn’t retaliate but later on he tried to steal my cigarettes, so I went after him & he slammed me, which caused my elbow to bleed. I locked him out of the house & he called the police to let him in, while he was outside Getting ready to leave with his Stuff, the 

police asked me what happened and I told him he slammed me and showed him my elbow, he didn’t take any pictures but asked me if he’d done it before,

I said yes (I’ve never called the police on him so there is no record of this happening before.)  He asked if I wanted to press charges, I said no. He said he would have to turn what happened in and that if I wanted to I could go to the court house and make a Statement. I never did. Now he’s having to go to court again & this time it’s for 3rd degree assault but it’s not because of me, he got high & was hallucinating at his moms house & talking loud so his step dad called the police. My boyfriend claims he never threatened anybody or touched anyone. He believes I’m the reason he is getting charged. I’m really hoping that’s not why because I never wanted to get him in trouble or anything, I didn’t think anything would come out of it. Can they use what I said against him in court? 

No, there is no official record of his assault on you because you didn't pursue an action against him. If there is no official record, there is nothing that can be used against him in court in regard to that incident.

His charges have nothing to do with you, obviously.

Yes, they can use a report of a previous assault against him. And you should want them to. You need a new boyfriend. This guy is not going to change, and eventually, he's going to really hurt you.

What do you mean you don't want to cause him trouble? He is the cause of this. You really need some counseling. 

• audrey

Yes. They can use the fact you told a policeman an injury was caused by him.

• Cogito

Yes, it can.  And frankly, you SHOULD want him to get into trouble!

Why are you still with a man who gets high on meth, puts your child's life in serious danger, assaults you and is obviously totally irresponsible and violent?If you love your son, you should leave this idiot and keep well away from him.And you have to stop smoking as well - no loving parent smokes.

• barbie1 month agoReport

just bc I smoke cigs, doesn’t mean I don’t love my son. I’m just under a lot of stress