Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

why do you only make minimum wage in the military?

do you only work 8 hours a day? if you work more hours they they should pay more.

The bottom military salary in the 2020 pay scale works out $10 per hour at 2080 hours per year and does not include the value of housing, food, clothing allowance and medical care. After six months it will go up by $1.20 per hour at E-2 and another 60 cents at one year when you make it to E-3..  Years ago, I was a civilian employee of the military at a civil service grade equivalent to 2nd Lt.  My salary was about 50% higher than base pay for my military counterpart but I didn't get the freebies so we came out about even.

Because only dumb people join the army.  Anyone that wants to be shot up the *** for a living can be paid a low salary with no complaints.

There's a lot of other benefits that, while technically 'free', you pay for with your freedom, your health, your body and your time. In the military, you have NO free time and your life is not your own. You are government property; nothing more than a social security number and a body in a uniform. People join the military for a free education, travel, free health care (even though military healthcare is ridiculously substandard; I went in once to have blood tests done and my PCM (doctor) sent me an email saying my results were fine. I had them redone at a civilian facility and found out I had a serious immune disorder the military had not bothered to tell me about) and other 'benefits', if you want to call it that. Stay out of the military, get yourself a good college education and get a good job. The military isn't the honorable institution it once was; it's now a soft, country club style environment. 

While a "typical" military day is 7.5 hours, the same as the government has. the actual work hours can really vary.  I've worked a few 24 hour days!  One place I spent 2 years at had a 48 hour working week, with duties on the off hours as well.

The pay is low because people will still work for it.  Benefits tend to be at least as good as other jobs, and better than most.  In Canada, the military is treated a lot like a government job, except there are perks, including being able to get the pension at the time you retire, regardless of your age.

• sydney19
      1 month agoReport

Australia is better still we have 10 Pay scales depending on the Dificulty of training and Job discription i was Pay level 7 Explosives ordnance and promoted to warrant Officer and on the Third year was WoOff pay level 10 plus EOD and IED allowances

• Bill-M

Military does not get paid by the hour and we don't earn minimum wage if you consider  FREE FOOD,  Free Housing,  free medical Care,  Free Travel.

• Lisa1 month agoReport

BAS does not completely cover meals in the DFAC. Some of it, yes. Not all of it. 
      My husband was the DFAC manager for more than two years. 

• Daniel

The only time I made anything close to minimum wage was when I was getting a couple of hundred bucks a month on top of my free room and board and free college education.  By the time I retired, I was making 6 figures.

Even junior enlisted don't make minimum wage.  On top of their seemingly low base pay, they are getting a free place to live and free food in the chow hall, plus free healthcare and other benefits.  If they have dependents, they are getting a housing allowance that is enough for a 2 bedroom apartment.

Military pay is salaried.  They get the same whether they work 16 hours a day or they get cut loose after an hour.

• Mrsjvb

Pay is salaried,  not hourly.  Furthermore, there are a plethora of non taxable allowances and services that are included, such as not having to pay for any medical care at all., allowances for food and clothing and housing provided

No other entry level job comes with 30 days vacation the first year, fully paid training and other things the average kid just out of high school has no hope of getting anywhere else

Why do you continue to TROLL?

Because the perks more than makes up for the minimum wage. 

I knew a guy who’s father served in the military and after he passed away, his wife got a monthly stipend and so did all his kids. 

Military families use the most food stamps.