Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Am I making a dumb decision?

Second year college student.

A week away from finishing the semester. I hate college so far. I was so depressed that for the better part of the beginning of October until now, I didn't get out of bed except to go to absolutely necessary classes, meetings, eating or to the bathroom.

I wanted to go to law school but merely being in school and just going through the motions has made me dread the idea.

I plan to quit, check into a mental health facility up to June, then figure things out as I go. Here's the tricky part. My parents really don't want me to quit and are upset about losing thousands of tuition so I basically want to go MIA, move to the East Coast (I'm from California) and maybe get a job as a barista or a construction worker or something.

I think I'm in my head too much and I can't quite tell how feasible this plan is and how much of a good/bad idea it is. Any advice?

• Foofa
    Favorite Answer

Yeah, doing it that way would be "dumb". The move is to tell your parents you need mental health treatment and to try to arrange with the school to hold your spot while you take a semester off. Quitting school, disappearing and all that is a great way to have your parents call the police to track you down. That way you probably get involuntarily committed somewhere instead of being able to manage your own mental health in a less dramatic way.

i would do what you want and then pay them back the money they gave you for school

• Carmen

Pray over matter ask for wisdom to discern what’s best to quit now and everyone lose out especially your parents financially even you because you won’t ever know how you would’ve of did in college by leaving early or try to stick it out and give yourself more time to regroup plans fail without counting the cost the pros and cons no matter where you go or what you do think before you leap. 

Don't check into a mental health facility.  Maybe feeling lost and directionless with no purpose in life is the reason you're so depressed.  Everybody needs to find their purpose in life but you've gotta actively seek it out.

College isn't for everyone.  Trying different things like moving to the East Coast, getting a job as a barista or construction worker, etc is a good start.  Sometimes moving around and experiencing different people and places is a nice change of pace and it helps.  Try a trade school or, if you wanna go MIA, try the military!  (Just don't go KIA though cuz that'd be a bummer.)

No. Studying something that you absolutely hate can be very bad. You clearly have a lot of problems with this whole "school" things but just relax. You have to sit alone and ask yourself whether you are fine with what's going on here and what should be done about it.