Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Why is neglecting our dogs dental care not taken as seriously as other forms on neglect?

I mean. If it's bad enough, it can cause extreme pain for an animal, and even organ failure and yet, out of all the people I know, none of them bruth their dogs teeth.

I have never brushed a dog's tooth or teeth. I feed kibbles & hard dog treats. Their teeth are in great shape, even my 16 yr old Dalmatian.

I admit I do not "bruth" my dogs' teeth.  They do use tooth brush chews.

One of my dogs died some years ago while his teeth were being cleaned and he was under anesthetic.

• SW-6

Oratene works great for my dogs, never have to brush their teeth.  Just pump some in their drinking water. 

• patty

not many people look in their dogs mouths. Bones helps keep them clean. It is very expensive to get your dogs teeth cleaned by the vet.

My wife and I certainly don't neglect our dogs dental health.

I take the dental hygiene of my dog very seriously.  I brush and floss it's teeth twice per day and next week she is having braces put on by a dog orthodontist.

• Jojo

NO need to clean a dogs teeth by brushing them if  the dogs teeth are healthy and there are no problems. Dogs that get raw bones or similar things to chew on rarely get teeth problems. Also some dogs will not allow anyone to brush their teeth and will struggle and make it impossible to perform it. Keeping an eye on a dogs teeth and gums and getting regular yearly vets checks is what most dogs owners do to keep their dogs mouth and body in a healthy state. IN all my 57 years of owning GSD`s I have NEVER brushed my dogs teeth and NEVER had any dog with mouth or teeth problems. So, so far, so good. 

• Jojo
      1 month agoReport

I often still beat myself up for not noticing that my beloved GSD Pacer had a tumour on his spleen, as he acted as normal right up to the fatal day the tumour erupted and he had to be pts.