ava asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

What do I do if truancy officer is going after my family despite doctors notes?

I’ve been out of school for almost 2 months due to severe pertussis (yes, i’m vaccinated) i have severe asthma so they assumed it was just an asthma flare up at first, i wasn’t diagnosed until 2 weeks into the illness. my school has been given all of the medial documentation, request for a tutors and i’ve been keeping up as best i can. the truancy officer is insisting i need to be in school and that i’m not sick, she’s threatened to arrest me ???? (i’m 15) i’ve gone to the hospital, i’ve been to the doctors a ton and i’m still having coughing fits until i’m vomiting multiple times a day. what does my family do at this point?

I have severe asthma, which is why this has been so hard to recover from 

• Foofa

Your family should probably go talk to the distinct Superintendent and it they can't resolve it that way should get a lawyer.

Your parents write a letter to the school district, sent by certified mail with proof of delivery. Put them on notice that they have been given all of the medical documentation, and that if the truant officer continues to harass you, a lawsuit will be filed against the school district.

Let your parents handle this.  They should be discussing this with the school and truancy officer.

What do your parents have to say?  It's their responsibility to get you a tutor.

Let them come and then get their pants sued off.

• JJ

Home schooling.