Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthWomen's Health · 1 month ago

How long can a person go with anemia or low iron before it becomes life-threatening? ?

Took a blood test and results won't come in until next week. Scared of the wait. Been feeling nauseous, weak and dizzy for days now. It's bringing on anxiety attacks

How long before I really need to worry? 

If this was a dangerous or even life threatening condition, there's no way they'd take a week for the results.  Clearly, they aren't worried  about it and I imagine your weakness and dizziness is a result of the anxiety.  Stress and anxiety can produce some very real symptoms!

With that said, a week is insanely long for a basic blood test.  Are you in the US?  If it's a more complex test, that's different, but if they're checking basic levels, this is crazy.  Why not call the doc's office and ask the nurse about this?  Tell her you don't understand why a basic blood test would take this long and can it be sped up?  Hell, my vet can give me blood results within 30 minutes.  This is nuts.

Ask your Doctor......

• juliet

It’s not about how long, but how low your iron is. A hemoglobin under 10 is considered severe. A hemoglobin under 7 calls for a blood transfusion.

Some people at baseline have a low hemoglobin. Mine is 8.2; but I function just fine. I’m not more or less tired than anyone else. I work out 3 times a week with very little problem. I’m African American, but you can tell that my undertones are a bit pale, and I do get pica at times. Other than that, I’m normal.

Your symptoms could also be due to something else other than hemoglobin. I guess you’ll have to wait and see!