Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

What fault would occur at a transmission department that would cause a brief power outage?

I was watching a Christmas special tonight on ABC that I waited all day for when the power went off for a few seconds, causing me to miss part of the special. I contacted the power company, and they told me that this was cause by a "fault in the transmission department". What was the most likely event that caused this outage?

• Foofa

If you're in California it was probably because your power company just decided to eff with you. That happens a lot out here.

We've  no idea what the technical description of the fault was, only they can tell you. Could be a faulty cable, a faulty transformer, cable down, tree branch across the cables (which is happening here due to gales) , many things. The person answering your calls won't know, apart from what they told you.

A cat (or other urban wildlife) might have been attempting to straddle one power line to the next. 

A mylar balloon have have gotten tangled up in the power lines.

A transformer might have blown.

It can be any number of things.

Somebody being electrocuted in their kitchen. All the electricity surges to their body and not to your tv. It will make the lights blink or your tv to stop working.

• In

The laws of physics broke down momentarily.  Normality has since been restored.  Either that or there was a programming glitch in the Matrix.