Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

I'm South African but a British citizen, married to an English woman. Should I continue to teach my daughter Afrikaans?

I feel that in the current climate of Brexit and negative attitude towards immigrants and foreigners in this country and reports of people being told to speak English in public that I'm scared of speaking a foreign language to my daughter, and that she would be victimised for speaking a foreign language. 

• Zirp
    Favorite Answer

Yes, definitely. Having more than one native language is HEALTHY, and you don't want to cut her off from half of her relatives

• RE
      1 month agoReport

Your daughter needs to learn the language now, while she is young and it's easy. Don't base her future on the CURRENT economic climate and the xenophobic attitude of some people. Just tell her "This is our home language; in public we always speak English because not too many people know Afrikaans."

thats up to you, i was born in south america and came here to nyc when i was 7, my parents always spoke to us in spanish just so when we got older we wouldnt forget it, im bilingual now cause of it

• Morne1 month agoReport

I was also hoping to get an opinion from someone living in the UK as they would be aware of the current difficult political situation there

• Nunya

Speak Afrikans at home and with family but speak English everywhere else. That is how my parents taught me to deal with being bilingual. I try my best to not offend other people. I know some people get offended when they can't understand what you are saying.