How do I tell my parents I want to find my own religious identity?

My family is Jewish, and Jewish people don't believe in paranormal, occult magick etc.

I am very interested in learning more about them, and have majorly differing views and opinions on multiple topics that go against the jewish views. I just feel like I am so different and can't really fit in with other Jewish people.

I want to be able to find my own religious identity, not just follow my parents like they expect. But I know they would NEVER allow me to experience different religions and would take major offence to me not wanting to be Jewish.

What do I do? What could I tell them?

Edit: I am 19, and still live at home. Im working on moving out

Favorite Answer

"have majorly differing views and opinions on multiple topics that go against the jewish views" 

Like what? Just curious. 

I won't try to persuade you but I am willing to talk to you if you are interested. 

Yes religious Jews are against the occult not against the paranormal. We don't get involved with it because it is spiritually dangerous and evil. All power even evil comes from God. God made purity and impurity, life and death, good and evil. Through connecting to God as Jews we can see miracles and rise above nature. For example all the nations of the world have tried to destroy us but have never succeeded. The Jewish people teaches the Talmud is not governed by nature, nature does not control us.

Tzaddikim could walk through walls, Prophets like Moses parted the water. So did Elijah and Elisha. We must remember however, that the power doesn't originate from an angel or a demon but God Himself. God is the real source of power not a demon or angel. 

Witch craft and sorcery goes against the Torah. Our religion does not allow it. Trying to connect with the occult displeases God and causes us to lose our share in the world to come. The Talmud suggests ways in which a person can see demons or meet them but it is too dangerous for an ordinary person. Furthermore most cultures and religions today do not know how to conjure anything real. 

I have heard bad stories of people who tried to summon demons and their house burned down and other strange accidents. It is unwise to connect with these spirits.  

Source(s): Orthodox Jew
    • Yoel Cohen1 month agoReport

He is yes. He is the Head. There is also Rabbi Chriqui (pronounced schwekey) and rabbi Gutnick. Speak to them. They can give you halachik advice. 

FREE lectures, videos and MP3's:

1) aish.com

2) simpletoremember.com

3) ohr.edu

4) horeini.org

5) ncsy.org

6) ou.org

7) oorah.org

www.simpletoremember.com/articles/a/jewish-life-after-death/

Learn more about what Judaism really is and you may find it easier than you thought.

Religion do not answer what paranormal is. Even science can't answer this question today. If we want to research paranormal, we have to become scientists. Otherwise we get only fables of paranormal.

)

You can learn whatever you want. But, do you not believe in God? If you still do, you probably ought to consider what He would think before delving into such things which you know He wouldn't approve of.

It's not your family that is going to be your biggest problem.

Jewish people still need to believe in Jesus, in order to be in heaven and avoid hell, just like all people.  Jesus is God.  Jesus is not a "religion".

Nobody can be good enough to avoid hell. The truth is that death leads to immediate heaven or hell, depending only on whether the person believed in Jesus for eternal life, or not.

.

The truth is that Jesus loves you and wants to bless your life freely :) Most of all, Jesus wants you with Him forever, and not in hell. The truth is that every belief except one will lead to eternal torment in the lake of fire for every person. Because nothing pays for our sins except the death and blood of Jesus, the sacrifice of Jesus that is already accomplished by Him . Jesus loves you! The truth is that Jesus is God, and Jesus died on the cross to pay for all of our sins in full, and then Jesus resurrected from the dead. Nothing else pays for our sins, not works, not deeds, not religions. So the only way to heaven and to avoid hell, is by believing in Jesus for eternal life (John 6:47), without adding any of your own works (Romans 4:5). Believe in Jesus to take you to heaven, and you will be in heaven, no matter what, guaranteed. That easy, thanks to Jesus! Tell Jesus that you thank Him that you will be with Him in heaven when you die, because you believe in Jesus! It is too late to be saved, after death

Move out and believe in whatever the fk bullcrap there is. You don't have to tell your family a thing ever.

At 19 yrs old, you are able to figure out what religion you want to be. Just make sure what ever you chose, it is a Bible based religion. Pray about this. God has a plan for you. Tryst Him  to lead you the way he wants you to go.

• glcang
      1 month agoReport

Shut it

A Jewish friend of mine very much believes in the paranormal--has personal stories. Claims to have premonitions and knows when people will die (the claim goes). 

Over this 2019 summer I watched a lot of ghost "reality" and reenactment shows. The reality ones featured dybbuk boxes occasionally,  which are Jewish origin furniture boxes that are said to contain bad spirits. The reenactments contained occasional Jewish people. Maybe  start a Jewish society for paranormal interests to reach out to other Jews? A lot of other paranormal people come from a Christian POV which may not be helpful to you. And it lends to a mistaken belief that paranormal is Christian property (again!). Or Pagan. In any case, have fun!

Jewish meticism/Kabbalah like other practices of spiritism will be done away with forever at Armageddon shortly-Gal 5:19-21;1 Cor 10:2021;Rev 16:14,16;Rev 18 jw.org

• Juli

You have 1 life to live.

You either take control of it or live under a dictatorship.

The choice is yours.

• Juli
      1 month agoReport

You religious nutters are funny. The truth hurts, right???? Your poor nutters.

• Mack

Just like you said then. Everyone should be free to find their own spirituality.