Does God want us to be perfect?

Jesus said “Be perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect.”

27 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

NO, he want's obedience, Jehovah God want's us to learn from him and his son Jesus. Jesus promised that those who live in God's new world will be given "everlasting life"(Mark 10:30) The whole earth will become a paradise,(psalm 72:16) until then he promises to bring us back to perfection.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes! Please read Matthew 5:48, it says Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. That is perfect according to His standards. Jesus Christ emphasized that we need to be like God. Surely there is every reason to strive to ‘be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect’! Surely there is every reason to strive to ‘be perfect as our heavenly Father, is perfect’!

• 1 month ago

Yes, he does. He just doesn't demand that we do it overnight.

• 1 month ago

“You must accordingly be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” (Matthew 5:48) Obviously, he does not mean that people can be fully perfect. However, by imitating God, we can expand our love to embrace even our enemies. Put another way: “Continue being merciful, just as your Father is merciful.”—Luke 6:36 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Fly G
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

He is really saying we should aim to be perfect, be like Him, do our best. Many scriptures say humans are flawed and wicked, which is why we need God's guidance, influence, and instruction. We can't quite shake sin, but we can aim to be on God's path as much as possible. We can drink in scripture as water daily, planting seeds and letting them grow beyond our greatest expectations. We can grow miles, yet we still won't be perfect.

CS Lewis said that God asks for our reasonable service.

Yet in falling in love with Him, we will want to do all we can. We won't be able to get enough of Him. This is how He designed us to desire Him and relate to Him. We won't be totally fulfilled til we get to heaven. And then, we will be made perfect. It's really what we longed for all or our lives. All joy, no pain, all health, no suffering, no disappointment.

• glcang
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Jesus was referring to the innate  Christ that is the true nature of all men, women and children

He was compelling us to “BE” as we were created and drop our separate selves.

This separate self is the egoic mind. Very few people understand this truth. Most are burdened by guilt and fear which distort the truth.

• Paul
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Only as perfect as we are capable of. He knows that no human being is capable of absolute perfection.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well, what chapter and verse are you referring us to? God knew before we were born that we would not be perfect. The only one that is perfect in the Bible is God. I would like to know the chapter and verse, or where it is that he said to be perfect. As humans,as long as we live, will not be perfect. That is the reason Jesus was born, the reason God came to earth as a human. Jesus may have said to be perfect, and what he meant  was strive to be like Him. Stay away from sin etc. Just for my own good, and because I don't know what the chapter and verse,(verses) he said this. When and if I get to heaven, I want to hear him say "Well Done" not ,"You were not perfect.  Good question, I am curious, and will be watching the answers you get. Hopefully I will learn . Thanks for asking.

Source(s): The Bible
  • 1 month ago

We are incapable of perfection, but we are to do our best to try to be.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Jehovah God says He wants obedience-1 Sam 15:22. Having a clean moral standing and observing Jehovah's commandments out of love for Him and Jesus is what one must be to be approved by them-Matt 22:37-39;John 14:15;1 John 5:3;Matt 28:19,20;2 Tim 3:16,17. jw.org

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.