Anonymous

Should I ask my professor to round up my 89.2 to a 90 (A)?

Had I gotten 4 more points on my test I would’ve had an A. This will be my first B on my college transcript (I’m a straight a student :) ) It’s not too much of a big deal especially because I understand where my struggles were in the class. 

my professor rounded me up without me asking :)

Favorite Answer

Yes.

Teachers know that smart students can have poor performance days, and if they believe and like you, they could help you out. 

You know your teacher better than us but honestly, the worst thing they can say is no and you can just say thanks for the semester and leave. 

I wouldn't wanna be the kid that didn't ask and spends the entirety of second semester wondering "what if"

Good luck!

[also it's so weird that everyone's acting super considerate towards teachers being mildly annoyed that a student wants their mark changed. That's your teacher, not god, you should be able to approach them about anything without worry of "annoying" them sometimes questions like this are good opportunities to ease the mind of a stressed student trying to get good marks. Any hard-working student who asks a teacher for a mark boost is usually really stressed and embarrassed about doing it and really just wants some stress-relieving advice, opportunities or words from their prof  ]

It should be rounded DOWN since it isn't 89.5- 89.99

• Lv 7

It's really not right to ask for a grade change when you didn't earn it. Everyone in the class was held to the same standard. This is the score you earned, equal to the same scale as everyone else. If a professor gives you 4 points for no reason, then the professor should technically give everyone 4 points. I know that some professors get guilted into changing the grade, but it really makes me angry because I do not ask anyone to change mine. I hope those who do this will look at their transcript and know that they didn't earn all of their A's!

Hi there -- fellow straight A student here! 

All of the people in the comments are being really harsh. It's clear that they don't understand the struggle of maintaining those As. And in college, this is a fairly common practice. In fact, some professors will bump you up a letter grade without you even asking!  Because you are so close to a 90, I would say YES! If it were like an 87 or something then obviously not, but I think because you are so close it would be perfectly fine here. Just be sure that you make a case for yourself when you ask. Also, it might help to be overly-polite. Thank them for a great semester that was fun yet challenging, you'll take the lessons learned with you for the rest of your life, blah blah blah. If you worked hard all semester and were a good student, then more than likely they are going to agree. With things like this, it really helps to make yourself known to your professor throughout the semester -- especially in large lecture halls. I learned this early on in my college career!   You have nothing to lose! The worst they could do is say no. Best of luck!

- A fellow overachieving college student who definitely understands

• MS
      1 month agoReport

Not for my class and not for the classes of most professors I know.  This is a common annoyance to MOST professors, not just to me.  It certainly does depend on the professor, but I can guarantee that most don't want to hear this.

You earned a B in that class.  Live with it.

NO ...... Take what you get.

No, you don't ask for points you did not earn.

And cheapen everyone else's A that actually put the work into it?

you can try but its up to him

• MS

No, you really shouldn't.  It's unfair to ask your professor to raise your grade just because you think you should have an A.  It definitely stinks to be that close - I get it.  But the cut-off has to be somewhere, and a line has to be drawn.