If my laptop has 4 cores and 8 processors each running at 1.6 ghz is that good?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Having 4 cores plus 4 logical cores is good for a laptop. It helps process much more information than a regular dual core machine for example.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Unless your computer takes your whole room, you have only one processor and a processor for graphics display.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Ya, like A.J. said, it says little.

Processors have gotten a lot more complicated these days. GHz doesn't really say much about speed anymore because the actual speed depends on the architecture. It's much more reliable to compare speed with benchmarks.

As for the number of cores, it depends on what programs you run, and how many cores they will support. Most programs only make use of one or two cores, so they benefit more from faster cores than more cores. Extra cores won't make a difference with those programs unless you run a lot of them at the same time.

Getting into productivity programs or AAA games they can usually make use of more cores, but it still depends on the program.Still, most of your normal computer programs like web browsers will do fine on about any CPU from the last decade.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Says little except that it is 4 core 8 thread and base clock of 1.6ghz. Can compare here

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

or

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Be...

Lower rank is better as higher up the scale.

Could be Intel Core i5-8365U rank 156 score 8327, or Core i5-8265U rank 165 score 7993, Core i5-10210U rank 166 scored 8493, or Core i5-8250U rank 219 score 7645, or old Core i7-720QM rank 406 score 3008

In a new laptop, it's good enough for general usage, and not slow. If should have a solid state drive and 8GB RAM.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

it is if it works good

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.