Is a 5CT ring considered too big for an engagement?

I am trying to pop the question to my girlfriend on christmas night and i have been scratching my head regarding ring choices. I don't want to over do it but yet i want something pretty catchy and nice. Is a 5ct ring considered to tacky/big or it's ideal? I am not feeling the 2ct and 3ct i initial wanted. I want something big but not over the top

My cousin got engaged and he asked her favorite number...she said seven so he surprised her with a seven carats ring and built a seven thousand sq ft home.  Everyone ohhd and ahhd over the ring.  I didn't know what a carat was but the word of that house impressed me.  Five carats is a lot and if that is what your heart desires I'm sure she'll Love it too.

• Foofa

Five carats pretty much counts as "over the top" unless you're a Kardashian. A ring that big is not only a potential safety hazard but it's the kind of thing you keep in a safe and only wear on special occasions. So it sort of comes down to what you hope she does with this ring. If it's an investment for safekeeping, go big. If it's something you actually want to her wear around on the daily you won't be happy with a rock that big. I personally wouldn't make myself a mugging target by wearing a ring like that. 

it's just an engagement ring dude.... save it for the wedding ring. christ. unless you're rich and spoiled. the actual wedding ring better be more then 5 carrots then...

• Eva

My feeling is that anything over a 1 carat stone is gaudy.

• Congrats. For some women it would be too big, they may feel uncomfortable wearing a stone like that or worry about losing it. If you go for that size, make sure you get the ring insured and that the insurance policy includes loss or theft. You would have to ask your girlfriend what size diamond / stone she thinks is too big. Or if she's given you any hints to what she wants then consider them. Maybe go shopping for a ring together. It's not about what you want when it comes to rings, it's about what she wants and feels comfortable wearing. 

Have you considered what she'd want?

Traditionally the ring was supposed to cost 3 months salary. That is how you figure out what ring to get.

maybe you can try putting it on her finger and see if it fits

Ask her what she thinks.

• Linda

Christmas night is a good time to pop the question and it's right before New Year's Day. I think she will be very happy with your choice. I think a 5 carot ring would be a beautiful gift to her to show her the way you feel about her. She obviously means a great deal to you. I don't think it is over the top or tacky. When you put it on her finger, I believe you'll realize you made the right choice and she will be ecstatic.