Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 month ago

What should happen to my character?

I know that I need to think for myself when writing a book but I am stumped in my plot. My character, living in a medieval world, needs some excuse to leave her town into another (her hometown which she left when she was 13). 

Update:

My character is a female, by the way.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • GA41
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Here aging grandmother needed assistance and company in her home.  She was sent by her parents to assist her grandmother.

She was sweet on a boy who was unacceptable to her parents.  She was sent to live with her grandmother to get her away from the influence of this boyfriend.

• Login to reply the answers
  • JerryL
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

her sister could gotten kidnaped she has go save her

• 1 month ago

What's the PLOT of the story? Something has to be going somewhere so you can have a beginning, middle and ending that work towards a goal. Once you get the bare bones for it, then you add in the specific steps the characters need to do/have/be in as they work towards that ending.

• Logan
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Think of medieval issues, could an illness, could be famine, it's no longer profitable for her to be there. Why she leaves should have a connection to your story though. Like it should be the inciting incident or something if this is at the start of your story. Maybe it's a sick relative or childhood friend.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tina
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I think you should stop writing for a while and go and do something else.

Later, when you go back if you still haven't thought of a reason for a woman to make a visit to the town where she was born and grew up, then I would leave it.

• 1 month ago

Children's Crusade of 1212 if in Western Europe. If in Eastern Europe she is fleeing the oncoming Mongol horde of Batu Khan and Subutai

• 1 month ago

Try doing a research of the culture of the times, perhaps that will give you some ideas you can use.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Is she a noble, a gentlewoman or a peasant?

If she is a noble or a gentlewoman, or if she was a freeborn daughter of a rich free peasant (like a franklin), her parents would arrange a marriage for her, or she would enter a convent and become a nun.  She could go on a pilgrimage, like the women in the Canterbury Tales, but she is 13. The women in Chaucer's book were either matrons or women of years and status, or their serving maids.

If she was not freeborn, if her parents were serfs, she would need her lord's permission to leave her village or any part of his land. She would need his permission to marry too, or to enter a convent. If her lord grants it, her father would need to pay a fine or tax to the lord for the loss of her service.

BTW, she could not leave on her own, no matter what her class, unless she ran away.  A woman travelling alone was fair game to any man she met. She would need to travel with other people - in an entourage of a noble family if not a noblewoman herself, or with her family if they were going to buy and sell at a market or go to a fair.

Your library should have books about life in the Middle Ages, or at least help you to find an appropriate web site.

• Tina
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

The questioner actually says she left her hometown at 13. Now she is presumably grown up. As the average age for marriage in the Middles Ages for women was between 20 and 25 she probably isn't married.

• Goerge
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The plague was popular back then and that could easily decimate a city. Nobody wants to stay in a city where the plague has taken hold. She's want to leave before she got sick.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe she just needs a new start

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.