I think my recruiter is lying! Help!! Navy aviation rescue swimmer?

I only want to sign a 4 year contract,  but my recruiter said I need to sign a 5 year. This was way before she knew what I wanted to be. So without knowing my rate she through out 5 years. Now I know shes lying .

So my question is simple.

The training is about 1.5 to 2 years in total . With that being said can I still only sign a 4 year contract?  The reason why I don't want to do 5 or 6 years is because I want to go to college after and seeing that I'm 25, I'll be 30 when I'm out.  I'm asking because I'm not sure if the contract you sign depend on the job . 

I've just always wanted to do Navy AAIR 

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Well, the good news is you don't have to sign a 5-year contract. 

The bad news is, if you want to do AAIR, you'll be signing a six-year contract -- that also includes another two years in the IRR for a total of an eight-year commitment. Nobody enlists without an eight-year contract. Every contract includes time in the Inactive Ready Reserve. Most are for 4+4, a few are for 5+3, and a good chunk are 6+2. But ALL of them are for a total of EIGHT years. Even if you sign a "four-year contract" it will not be for four years. It will be for 4+4. 

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Like couple of answerers already mentioned, AIRR Contract is 6 years Active Duty (and 2 years IRR).

As of Sept. 2019, the Enlistment Bonus for AIRR is $36,000 (Holy $hit! It is as much as EOD, ND, SB, & SO); it was paying out only $8,000 a couple of years ago. The Enlistment & Reenlistment Bonuses change all the times.

Once you finished with the training pipeline, you will, automatically, be promoted to an E-4 (aka Push Button Crow). 

You can take college classes while you are on Active Duty, especially, during your Shore Duty, if you decided to do that. I did (if there is a will, there is a way).

• ...Show all comments
    • NavyCrab
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I got $20k back in '99. Then, I got $60k for the Re-enlistment Bonus (war zone-tax free) for 4 more years (it would have been $80k, if I did another 6 years).  

• 2 months ago

huh, what planet are you on, rescue swimmer training is only about 2 months long

• NavyCrab
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Rescue Swimmer School is 5 weeks, but the "ENTIRE" pipeline for AW-AIRR is much longer. 

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The rating dictates how long you must enlist for.  Rescue swimmer is a SIX year AD commitment.  Most other aircrew ratings are a FIVE year commitment. So no the recruiter  isn’t lying and no you cannot get a shorter contract if you choose any of those ratings

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Bill-M
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It is SIX years not four of Five.

You can go to college while in the Navy.   When on Shore Duty you can take College Classes on Base.

I copied this from: https://www.navycs.com/blogs/2009/08/12/navy-aircr...

The Aircrewman Program is a six-year enlistment program guaranteeing an initial flying assignment as a flight crewmember in fixed wing or helicopter aircraft and provides for training via various Class “A” Schools for a specific service rating within the Naval Aircrewman (AW) general rating. You will undergo some of the most demanding physical training offered by the military services in this program. You must volunteer for flying duty, be capable of passing a Class II swim test, and pass an aviation flight physical. You must be made aware that your entrance physical examination will be verified for flight qualifications at Recruit Training Command and Naval Aircrewman Candidate School (NACCS).

• 2 months ago

Your recruiter know a lot more than you. It seems you have done very little

research on the requirements for the job you want.

• darrel2 months agoReport

Just the fact she stated I needed to sign 5 years without even knowing the job I wanted has me a little worried.  Plus, the fact she doesn't even know about aair bonuses. Then another guy called me trying to make me choose another rate saying that they only passed 3 people in 6 years.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Most contracts with a special operations or Special Forces option are for additional years. It costs a lot of money to train a person for these rates. And it makes no sense to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars over two years to train a Sailor only to see them leave two years later. Your recruiter is not lying.

• 2 months ago

That means 4 years active service and 1 year inactive in the Navy Reserve.  

Nope, she stated that I had to sign 5 years active and 3 years inactive as she looked over at her partner who was sitting next to her and gave a little evil Smirk 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

She "through out?"  I wouldn't worry about becoming a Rescue Swimmer.  You'll never pass the entrance exam.  They are the finest of the finest.  They can spell.

Relax! I typed this quickly.  Sorry I'm more worried about getting Fked over than spelling. Clearly if you understood my message, my spelling must not be too bad. Now if you would like to offer advice that'll be greatly appreciated.  If not, get the hell off my thread.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.