Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 month ago

How far away can you smell landfills?

I am looking at a lot that is a mile away from a landfill.  It didn't smell bad now, when everything is frozen and the wind was blowing from the northwest.  Do you think a mile is close enough to the landfill that it will smell bad in the summer heat, especially when the wind is blowing from that direction?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It depends on how well they're maintained. There's one I go to occasionally to drop of hazardous household waste, and I rarely smell it at all, even when I'm on property.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Ann
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If the wind is blowing the landfill odor toward you, you can smell it from quite a distance.  At least, that's the case here in TX, because even in the winter, the temperatures aren't extremely cold for prolonged periods of time.  My grandmother had to move from her farm because the town close to where she lived built a rendering plant about a 1/2 mile away.  The stench was so bad, that she couldn't open her windows.  That's not exactly a landfill, but cities do haul dead animals off and bury them in landfills, and mountains of trash in general smell horrible in hot weather.  It depends on the weather conditions throughout the year and the direction the wind generally blows.

• 1 month ago

How close are you to a landfill. Can you smell it?... that far

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

When the wind is right in the summer, I can smell the holding pens for the cattle to be shipped off to slaughter. so much Bull Sht.    

. A dump would not be a problem.  But at landfills, they are getting good at covering stuff over quickly so the odor would be short lived.  Most stuff to the landfill is shrubbery, furniture and construction materials which by themselves do not stink.

. So no worries.

. They are actively sorting that stuff and grouping it.  Some that decomposes such as lawn clippings and trees are at one end of the landfill so they can be covered over and household goods and miscellaneous is at in a different place as it does not rot or stink.  It still gets covered over but there is less urgency.

For the best answer, ask a number of the neighbors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Depending on the individual landfill, and your individual sense of smell, you may smell if several miles away, or not smell it IN the landfill. Most US landfills are closer to the later than the former.

• 1 month ago

suggest you ask the neighbors ... they actually know

• 1 month ago

Yep, you'll be able to smell it when the wind is blowing your direction. You get use to the smell in a cupla weeks.

• Tavy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

In a hot summer there will nothing in the air except stinking rubbish and flies.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

A lot further away than one mile.

I live "near" (about five miles) from a composting facility and while we don't smell it all the time, we definitely smell it on certain days.  

Google the landfill and you may find articles & reports about smell complaints and you will see how far away the complaints are coming from.

Ever been near a wildfire?   If yes, you know how far air and whatever is in it can travel.

Does the price of the lot seem too good to be true?

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Oh yeah, that's pretty much guaranteed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.