Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

Need opinions on puppy?

So my aunt got a puppy 7 months ago, and now she wanted to get rid of her because she’s attacking her smaller dogs and gave them ptsd so long story short I gave the dog to a rescue specifically for her breed(husky) and now they want her back after me giving her to the rescue. They keep asking me to give their number and other information because they changed their mind and want to put her in training classes. Or muzzle her. What should I say or do?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Give her the phone number of the rescue.  Let the rescue deal with her.  It's not your problem.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Mail or hand her information on the breed (which you can google) - about the extremely high energy demands it has - that most people cannot deal with and the HIGH PREY drive making them a 100% UNSUITABLE dog for a home with ANY OTHER small pets.  

TRAINING classes will not fix those basic Husky characteristics... and muzzling the dog (in this case) would be abusive and you do not want to contribute to animal abuse.  Tell them to accept they got the WRONG breed and it is better off being helped by a rescue group who will find the right home for it -for example: with a marathon runner - with no other pets.

Having run a rescue, it is usually a one-way door.  Dogs DO NOT normally go back to the people who surrendered the dog.  But rescues also make people sign over or surrender their rights & a simple statement or the reg. papers (if she gave those to you) would have protected you legally.  You may have to give her the information on where the dog went, if she did not sign it over.  Unlike animal shelters - rescues do not put dogs down unless they bite people, so does she misunderstand that the dog is in some danger of loosing its life? 

• 2 months ago

It is a bit too late for them to get the dog back. They have already shown that a dog means nothing to them by giving it away. So they probably won't even be able to adopt cause they did that. & you can't adopt cause you were the one who turned the dog in. They couldn't even get through the Application for Adoption.

Let the dog be. They didn't even bother to train it. Go a head & give them the name of the place but make them look up the number. Let the rescue read them the riot act for what they did.

I hope the dog is happy now & in a good home with someone who understands the Husky.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

A proper rescue does not give dogs to the person that gave them away in the first place.

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

If you had her permission to relinquish the dog, just give her the information.  I find it hard to believe that she just handed it over to you without knowing or caring what rescue it went to.  If she contacts the rescue, she is their problem, not your problem. 

That being said, if your aunt claims that you stole the dog and relinquished it without permission, you could be in a hot legal mess especially since you signed a piece of paper stating that you were the owner or had legal authority to relinquish the dog.    You could be charged with theft, fraud and also sued civilly. 

Never, ever get in the middle of these kinds of things.   At the bare minimum you should have got something from your aunt in writing in order to protect yourself. 

I've worked in animal welfare for 27 years including six at a large urban shelter and I've seen some real doozies of legal disputes. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Any person that runs a legitimate rescue for any breed will not give back the animal to the person that turned the dog over to them. You have already proven that you were incapable of caring for the dog so you will not be getting it back.

• 2 months ago

Tell the truth!!!!!!!!!

Lv 7
    2 months ago

Tell them that rescues don't return dogs to the homes that surrender them, and that the dog likely has a new home already that's a better fit for her. Huskies are terrible choices for homes that have smaller pets due to an extremely high prey drive, and training would be unlikely to fully solve the issues. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.