Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Should my landlord compensate me?

I live in a multi-family house. My landlord lives right next door and decided to stain his wooden floors. This caused a powerful odor to enter my apartment. I have a toddler and obv cant stay here. Should I Ask my landlord to pay for my hotel? Should i threaten to not pay rent next month?

The only possible thing you would be entitled to is rent refunded for days you cannot be in the unit. In this case, it would likely be one single day if any at all.

I don't understand how a stain can cause a powerful odor. You can ask, but your landlord is not obligated to pay, for anything unless if it's on a lease. You can threaten to not pay next months rent, and your landlord can threaten to kick you out.

My circumstances are different than yours, and other peoples as well. I made a lease, and I put thought into writing it. If I can get someone to sign it then that's going to be something that would have to be done, for me, and that's if I lose my home due to someone destroying it. My home that I am planning on buying is not like yours, and yes, I think someone probably could destroy it, and someone would have to take responsibility, for that, so I would be pointing my fingers at someone, and demanding something to be done about it.

You still have a place to live. It's not like your home is destroyed.

I am open to living in anything that's livable, so it doesn't have to be a hotel.

No. He is under no obligation to compensate you. He has a right to refinish his floors. If you feel that it makes your place unfit to live in, temporarily, you will have to file a claim with your insurance company. THEY will pay for your hotel room for the days you can't live where you are, IF you are insured. It sounds like you decided to not bother with insurance, so if you want compensation, then it will come out of your own pocket.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Landlord & Tenant law experience.
  • R P

Your unit is habitable and you are certainly not entitled to any compensation.

If you decide to withhold rent, you will find yourself (and your child) evicted & out on the street.

Did you contact the 6:00 o'clock news about this trauma?

Wut?  Open your windows to get rid of the smell and if necessary, turn the heat up.  What on earth makes you think you deserve a hotel stay or a free month's rent?   People are so entitled lately.  Obviously, it's a lot worse in his unit and he's still kicking, right?  smdh

No, your landlord should not compensate you.

No, you should not ask your landlord to pay for your hotel. 

No, you should not threaten to not pay rent next month.  

Yes, you should open some windows, put out a fan, light some scented candles or do any other number of things that will help mitigate this temporary and minor inconvenience.   

"Should I Ask my landlord to pay for my hotel?"    No.

"Should i threaten to not pay rent next month?"  Only if you want to be sued/evicted.

Your landlord did nothing wrong and your unit wasn't uninhabitable.   Even if it was uninhabitable, you don't get to unilaterally decide that.  You'd have to involve the health department or a judge in a court of law. 

Minor inconveniences due to maintenance, repairs or upgrades are just part of life whether you own or rent. 

nope, unless the work was done negligently (improperly, using an unsafe product for example), the landlord does not owe you anything....it should air out quickly..open the windows even if cold.

if you have  fans, turn them on.

I've had my down stairs neighbor do their floors, it cleared quick and was not intolerable.

and no, even if you have renters insurance, it will not pay for a hotel for this.

Open the windows the smell is only temporary .

Withholding rent = eviction.