Why Does My Laptop Stop Working Every Time I Move it?

I've got a 5 year old laptop. It's got a SSD drive and a HDD.

Off late I've noticed a weird problem. Whenever I move my laptop or place it on a surface even with a minute amount of impact and force, it becomes problematic.

It takes a really long time to boot, and often the hard drive (HDD) stops working and it doesn't detect it. It only detects the SSD.

However the problem fixes itself when I open the laptop, remove all the hard drive screws and fasten it again.

So as a result, I now have to be extremely gentle when moving the laptop. Any small amount of impact will disengage the hard drives and make the computer not boot fast.

What is the problem here? How do I fix it? I've made sure all the screws are in place snug, so is it a loose connection?

Favorite Answer

Either the second drive has a loose connection, or it is about to die. If it's about to die, I would install a utility that displays the drive SMART values. SMART is a self-diagnosing facility that all HDD's and SSD's have that allow it to determine it's own health levels. I would suggest CrystalDiskInfo, it's free to use. Another one that you could use is Hard Disk Sentinel, which actually gives you easy to understand percentage ratings about the health of a drive, but it's not free, it's got a trial-ware version, which you can use free for a while, which might be just enough time to determine it's health. I use both utilities myself.

Instead of taking the laptop to bits, check the problem hard drive is fitted in to its socket tightly. It should also have a retaining screw to hold it in place.

maybe your harddrive is deading... check with the Crystal Info software your driver health status.

Yes, I would say so!

You have a bad connection inside or you simply have component on the edge of fail.

5 Year old lappy is usually past MTBF anyway.

HDD is probably failing, time to back everything up and start with new.

Doesn't mean bad, just means obsolete or behind the times.

I still use an old machine for testing with a pentum and 120 Mb hdd. DOS no less.

The HDD may be failing. Check it.