If people collect certain things, why don't they want some of the things they collect?

I know a person that collects snowmen figurines. Another acquaintance collects Santas. I offered them all the snowman and Santa items (respectively) I found when cleaning out my parents home. All were refused. I collect cat figurines and would never refuse any if someone offered them to me.

Favorite Answer

People with collections don't want just anything that has to do with that collection--they have particular standards they follow, and the donations usually don't meet those standards. Besides, they probably have more than enough already, but don't want to hurt your feelings by saying so.

I have several collections ranging from vintage glassware to flow blue dishes to vintage sewing items and whatnot. There comes a time when a collector realizes they have no more room to store these things or display them. I have been offered things to add to my collections that I have refused. Now mind you, 10 maybe 15 years ago I would have never rejected anything to add to one of my collections. But as I age I realize that I must downsize so that I don't burden my family with all of the stuff I've collected over the years, only for them to give them away throw them away donate them or sell them for less than what they're worth. LOL

They get more selective about the type and style they want, after a while.

• In

I collect dust.  Nobody wants that either.

It could be that the items they collect are created by a particular artist and that artist only. I collect "Currier and Ives" dishes. But, there are 2 different kinds.  Royal china wear makes them both but the older version is more valuable then the newer version.   I collect Royal Dalton dishes as well, but only in the "Country Rose" pattern. They have like a ton of different patterns, but I am not interested in those. If someone heard that I collected Royal Dalton dishes and gave me a couple of pieces in the "Cheeky Pink" style, I would probably refuse politely. saying I don't collect that pattern. In the case of your acquaintance, I am certain they collect by style or artist. Do not take offense to that. It is just a matter of preference.

• Bee V2

Maybe they have a specific standard for the snowmen and santas they collect. Or maybe they already have the item you offered

Perhaps they collect things as a memory of a certain time, place or person.   

Perhaps they don't collect 2nd hand things [don't understand that myself but there are people for whom used is a deal breaker].

Perhaps seasonal items are less wanted because they aren't able to display them year long and they just don't want more stuff sitting in storage.

People are different in there collecting habits just like they are with many other habits.  Don't take personally, just move on.