Anonymous

What would you do if you were on disability?

I am on disability and my credit is not good.  Long story short I had to move in with my sister and she is now my representative payee.  I think I can still work but my sister says it's too stressful for me to function.  I don't agree and how would she know she hasn't ever worked with me.  She wants to start a business together but I'm not so sure it will work out for us because she doesn't trust me to do anything...and she has always stolen from me.  I took her to my doctor because ssa said they needed a letter from my doctor for her to no longer be my rep payee the doctor said they have never written a letter like that and aren't going to start now the doctor also suggested that my sister go to ssa and tell them she no longer wants to be my payee.  But we called ssa says I still need the letter.  I had a letter from a lawyer after I got off conservatorship but they still need a letter from a doctor.  I don't have a driver's license and I don't have a car so I am strapped for transportation.  How can I get my life together?  I got a couple job offers but my sister says they were too far away...I don't live near public transportation and she refused to take me and I would only net 18 dollars a day if I Uber.  I know some ppl on YA are on disability but are higher functioning than me what do you do?  If I work my SS income can get higher.

Favorite Answer

unless you sister is your court appointed guardian, she cannot prohibit you from working.  as the payee, she only receives your SSI/SSDI and pays your bills, nothing more.

if your sister steals, you can petition for a different payee.  it does not have to be your sister.

your doctor may feel that you need a payee, if you don't, you will need to try a new doctor to get the letter.

contact your area vocational rehab office for help finding a job and transportation.

working will not raise your SS.  at least not much. and not right away.  if you are on SSI and eventually get work credits for SSDI, that will raise your benefit $20/month.  you may end up with more work plus SS because they don't deduct from SSDI based on work income.

• Judith

If you want to work then work.  You or your payee is supposed to report to social security whenever you start a job and when one ends.  You are required to report the change within 10 days.

Someone misunderstood social security.  If a person no longer wants to be a payee they can send a letter to the social security office servicing their zip code telling SS they don't want to be the payee any longer.  She can then return any benefit payments she receives.  Just because the conservatorship is no longer valid doesn't mean that you are capable of managing your benefits; that is why a statement is needed from your doctor ONLY IF the doctor believes that you are now capable of managing your own benefits - you can download form SSA-787 for your doctor to complete if that is the case.

If not; if your doctor still believes that you are incapable of managing your benefits appropriately then someone is going to have to file to be your payee.  If you can't find a responsible person willing to do that then social security needs to be contacted and told that - they will then appoint a professional payee to manage your benefits for you.

If you find a person willing to be your payee, then you and that person need to visit your nearest SS office for them to file the application.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

"I am on disability and my credit is not good." 

Okay. Not a great situation to be in, How much debt are you in? Being like $2k in debt isn't terrible, even if you're on disability , but being $50k in debt is going to be a problem.

" I think I can still work but my sister says it's too stressful for me to function."

Not her call to make

"  I don't agree and how would she know she hasn't ever worked with me. "

She might be trying to steer you in certain direction for her own benefit.

" She wants to start a business together but I'm not so sure it will work out for us because she doesn't trust me to do anything"

I'm not sure it would work out because you aren't exactly bringing a lot of capital to the table to get this thing off the ground. No offense, but there wouldn't be any benefit (to the company) to bring you in as an owner or stakeholder. Unless her grand plan is to have you work there under the table, or work there as an on-paper owner who doesn't take a salary, which would leave her free to continue to collect benefits on your behalf.

"and she has always stolen from me. "

You don't say....

" I took her to my doctor because ssa said they needed a letter from my doctor for her to no longer be my rep payee the doctor said they have never written a letter like that and aren't going to start now the doctor also suggested that my sister go to ssa and tell them she no longer wants to be my payee. "

Remember when I mentioned her trying to steer you in certain direction for her own benefit? This sounds suspect as hell to me.

"  But we called ssa says I still need the letter. I had a letter from a lawyer after I got off conservatorship but they still need a letter from a doctor.  "

Welcome to federal government bureaucracy hell. These are the same people who some want to entrust with running a $30 Trillion healthcare system.....

"I don't have a driver's license and I don't have a car so I am strapped for transportation."

Uber/Lyft? Do you have any trusted friends that could help you out at least with the transportation logistics of getting the situation squared away?

" How can I get my life together?"

We don't the granular details of what's involved. Unfortunately we can only give somewhat generalized suggestions. 

"  I got a couple job offers but my sister says they were too far away...I don't live near public transportation and she refused to take me and I would only net 18 dollars a day if I Uber. "

That's a tough situation. You might want to see if there are some disabled transportation programs, maybe through your local dept of rehabilitative services.

" I know some ppl on YA are on disability but are higher functioning than me what do you do? "

My disabilities don't limit me in any way that pertains to my employment. In that respect I'm quite fortunate.

"  If I work my SS income can get higher."

I applaud you for wanting to improve your situation, and making an honest effort to get a job. This how it should work. Unfortunately your situation seems to be a difficult one, and the people that should be trying to help you, seem to be looking out for themselves (at least on the surface, based on what you've shared). I think you're going to need to find an advocate for you. There are government services that should be able to help you. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what they might be, but as I mentioned before the Dept. of Rehabilitative Services might be a good starting point.  Good luck. 

No idea. I worked for America for 37 years

• Your sister is your representative payee, she is not your guardian. If you think you can work, get a job, and don't depend on your sister to get you there.  Do you have other doctors you see - that doctor is wrong  he should be writing letters stating whether you need a payee or not. It sounds to me you need the support of an agency that can provide you services. Call 211 and ask them to help you identify good ones for you.

• Jay

i would be making money doing nothing and whenever someone starts a fight with me ill just laugh and tell them their tax dollars pay me to do nothing