Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenGarden & Landscape · 1 month ago

Is gardening at home a waste of municipal water?

Over the summer my water bill went up by $150 because 2 people at my house had 2 separate gardens. I can't help but notice they only yielded $20 worth of produce. Assuming you live where it doesn't rain in the summer, is it a waste to grow food at home?

To the nutcase:

It's a rain forest. Without telling you what window to shoot at, it rains 24/7 for months in winter and nearly never rains in summer. So these people crazier than you grow organic home produce with city water at a 12000% markup all told. p.s., yes, your garden makes you gay and stupid as you suspected and needed to defend.

So you can't collect rainwater during winter and seal it up (to prevent evaporation) and save it for summer? 😞

If you live in a rain forest, then do your gardening during the wet season like common sense dictates. I don't grow vegetables during the dry season.

• Mr. P

Most sensible gardeners also save rainwater as it is better for the plants. You can even use grey water from washing and bathing.

I remember as a kid using a hosepipe to syphon out the bath water to water the beans in very hot weather, and we didn't even have a meter then.

So it cost $150 a month... how much more pleasant were they to be around because they were outside doing activity that most people find very calming. 

Drip irrigation is not expensive and will save you lots of money.  Collect water in the winter and use it in the summer.

Assuming you live where it doesn't rain in the summer - so you live in the DESERT?  Everywhere else where there is plants there is human habitation.  No water=death.

.  Your people could be hand watering which saves a lot of water and you get more produce.  Sprinklers that also get the lawn means the lawn gets watered too otherwise you have  desert sand.  So either they were watering efficiently or they were wasting water.  Only THEY KNOW.

. Where I live, it rains so that is a free watering week.  Even if it only rained 1 day, it does for a week.  Some people OVERWATER.   They figure it out.

. For my water to go up by $150.00 I would have to use a half a Million gallons of water over the amount I am allotted (which is 50,000 gallons) & MAYBE IT IS $150 more.  Am doubting I could achieve that on 1/2" plumbing...which is what most houses have.   I would need agricultural connection with a 4 " pipe to say do an orchard. Already, I get a discount (farming discount) for using a larger amount of water.  Any day it rains is a day I don't have to water.

.   The water bill has a minimum charge.  That is just for being connected. Even if you never use any water,,,it is about $50.(toilets use water, water is used in the cooking process and washing hands and brushing teeth...etc.

.   I used 37,000 for period 3 months, when it rains more often and  bill went up to$100.00 in a semi arid region.  For me to stuff $150.00 on the bill by simple math that would be 110,000 gallons - but they don't use simple math giving heavy water users a greater discount, so more like 200,000 gallons to add an additional $100 to the bill to get to $150.00 (OK, not a million but it will seem like it)

.   It is something to do.  They get 0 benefit out of the lawn.   They get something out of the garden and most backyard gardeners don't do it for the money.  Farms do it for the cash.

.  They do it for meditation, relaxation, and the joy of experimentation.  Some just grow flowers.  Not everyone is in it for the buck.  Once you are in it just for the money, then it becomes a JOB.

• .

You have to choose what you grow.  Where I live, most peppers grow well without much watering, but squash and zucchini seem to require more watering.