Lauren asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

When Should I Get A Second Dog When Moving Out?

I'm moving out of my parents' house with a small dog. My parents have dogs, so she's used to being around dogs, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a second dog. However, I want to make the move as easy as possible for both dogs, so I was wondering if I should get the dog a few days before I move out or after I move out?

Favorite Answer

I would seriously wait until you're not only completely moved out and in, but SETTLED in, meaning furniture in place, things put away, boxes removed, and your other dog has adjusted and gotten her stress out of they way and you have her new routine established. This could take upwards of 6 months. Don't just up and get another dog because you assume she has to have another dog around. This isn't always the case at all. My mom just lost one of her dogs and the other one was mopey for a while, but now she's happy being "the only child." I would seriously wait until you make a decision; see how your dog handles being by herself for a little bit.

So you're stealing one of your parents' dogs? They're OK with this?

You should only get what you can AFFORD to take care of and what you're ALLOWED to have where you rent. Most rentals don't allow dogs much less two of them. So unless you're making enough money to afford a privately owned separate home like a house or duplex then you're not very likely going to be able to have two dogs.

• Lauren1 month agoReport

No I’m not stealing one of my parents’ dogs

After you move out. Then all three of you will be on neutral ground. It is new territory to everybody.

When you can afford one.

• *****

I'd give it six months+ before considering adding a second. There's no guarantee your dog won't be happier without other dogs in the home, and with any large life change, it's a good idea to give yourself time to adjust and reevaluate your situation before making another big change. So, give it at least several months, then take a realistic look at your finances and free time before deciding whether adding another dog is right for your household or not. 

I would wait at least a month before even making that decision.

Once you are settled in your new home with your new routine you will understand better if there is toom in your life for a 2nd dog.

• Hal

I would not, unless you have will have a fenced yard and they are not really barkers, and you can easily afford to feed them and it's no big deal to buy a $80 dog door and such to you. If those are all true, then it may be ok. Basically, "not yet".

I think it's foolish to get a second dog until you are established in your new house.

After.   Why put the new dog through the stress of two moves?

Plus, if you've never lived on your own before, you should probably do that for a couple months before making another 15 year time and financial commitment to a second pet.   Living on your own is different than living with your parents.