Do poor people have hard lives because government benefits don go far enough to help them live decently?

its too simple to say that plebs live crap lives because they dont get enough hand outs from governments. If people were given too much , then it make society un workable, since what would be the point in going to work to ear a living? plebs are plebs because of their inability to earn a decent living due to many factors and also they make the wrong choices in how they spend their handouts. I saw a tv show not long ago, a single mom was complaining that she didnt have enough money to feed her kids.. the dollop of a woman had to full sleeves of tattoos, which must have cost thousands to have done, obviously she had enough money cash to pay for all that crap,

That and the F ACT that most are uneducated when it comes to getting a good job. most quit school or never went anywhere after they did get out of HS to better themselves or their education. 

and MANY STAYS in the same rat hole neighborhood they grew up in because they are afraid to move somewhere and start a good life form themselves and or their families. MANY are just SCARED TO GET OUT OF THE RATS HOLE THEY GREW UP IN.

YOU DO KNOW THAT LIVE IS NOT FAIR?

• Foofa

If that were the only reason for poverty then everyone would be poor. Personal circumstances do play a role.

First of all, wealth isn’t necessarily a measure of happiness.  Some people with little or no money are still happy because other areas of their life, besides their finances, provides enrichment.  Likewise, some millionaires and billionaires are very miserable and only find scraps of happiness by tormenting others (I won’t mention any names).

The truth is, however, that people don’t have hard lives because they are lazy, stupid, or make bad decisions all the time.  Please keep in mind that some wealthy people make a lot of bad decisions, too.

No, people have hard lives for one reason: lack of compassion from others.

• Judith

If poor people have hard lives it is probably because they aren't well-educated and can't get decent paying jobs due to lack of skills or they are poor because of some type of disability.  Many have hard lives because they've made many bad decisions; e.g. having illegitimate children, dropping out of school, committing crimes - I don't think society as a whole should have to compensate them for that.

Unless someone is rich no one lives well who can't work.  I had to stop working when I was 51 and was ill-prepared financially for life without working - plus medical expenses.  My income was cut more than 50% and it adversely impacted me for the rest of my life.  I had hoped to work at least 10 more years and it would have made a great difference in the qualify of my life.

That being said, I don't think that the government should be paying out anymore than what it already does in social security and SSI benefits except I do believe that welfare benefits should NOT be cut.  I believe that people should help those who can't help themselves and I believe that welfare benefits are necessary.  Poor people who can't work for whatever reason, shouldn't have to worry about losing Medicaid or food stamps or whatever other assistance they can receive to help them cover the basic necessities of life.

Capitalism inevitably means low wages, unemployment and very low benefits for many.

Poor is a matter of where you live. In San Francisco the poverty line for a family of four is $117,000. Any where else in the U.S. a family of four with and income of 117K would be living quite well. Where I live the average price of a house is 556K. Tell me who with any kind of a reasonable income can afford to live in a $556,000 house??

• Kelly

It's not that benefits don't go far enough it's that there isn't enough benefits and many don't qualify for them anyway.

Most people who are poor are working class poor and they make just enough to not qualify for any benefits but not enough to actually live on.  Where I am minimum wage is $9.45/hr...  cost of living here is about $14.00/hr.  Many have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet and that's 2 jobs per person.

The cost of living has gone up but wages really have not.  A lot of industries pay less now than they did 30 years ago.  I live in Michigan so we have a lot of auto workers 20-30 years ago GM, Ford, Chrysler and other auto suppliers like Delphi/Nexteer paid $30/hr..  they pay $14 an hour now and the benefits are shittty AF.

Opportunities to better yourself isn't equally distributed either.   To some extent though growing up poor is a circumstance, remaining there is a choice. I didn't want to work dead end jobs or be in poverty and work myself to death so I chose to get an education.  I have a masters in Information Technology/Information Security and work as a network engineer.  I grew up poor.

I work for a school district now and most employees here .. have multiple jobs and these are people who have masters and PhD's in education.  Many have several jobs to pay off student loans.  Teachers make poverty wages.  My wage is decent but I've made more in other industries and well my husband is a doctor (he grew up affluent).  I can sit home if I want, most people don't have that as an option.

• Sandy

the government is not the answer or solution to American's problems.

• Connor1 month agoReport

Thank you for answering nothing.