Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 month ago

Why are old people so stuck in their ways?

Any time I’m talking about my life problems and there’s old people nearby, they give that stupid “back in my day we did this...” speech that i can’t f*cking stand. I don’t care if your life was sh*t, why does mine have to be? It’s like “hey I suffered so you should too!” I can’t stand that sh*t.

• They're closer to death then you. So compromising becomes less of an option. 

• I agree. I just got hired recently and the lady that hired me said I was great and so did my previous boss because I was a quick learner, didn't talk back or have an attitude.

Both managers said they will never hire an older person because they are stuck in their ways and while they have extensive experience their attitude and lack of progression makes them terrible to work with.

I love older people but work wise, I really hope I don't become so dense when I'm 50. I hope I have the pride to say hey I'm old and can't keep up let me sit back and let a 20 year old take the lead.

All I hear is back in my dad we did it this way or I've been doing it this way for 30 years NO ONE CARES. TIMES HAVE CHANGED.

• angelina2 weeks agoReport

1. When your 50 your not old 2. Your too young to take lead of professionals so sit back down

• rick

These ways are the result of experience, trial and error, and many failures, before finding something that works. Why go back to something that has failed in the past? Why not continue to utilize our own knowledge and experience? Try thinking next time.

When they use personal examples to suggest you should man-up and grow-up, that is not being stuck in their ways. Maybe you enjoy the victim mentality and don't want to be jolted out of it, but that would make YOU the one stuck in your ways and trying to avoid growing into a mature person. If your life is sh*t, the trick is to get off your backside and change it. Wallowing in it does not help. You do not have to be stuck in your ways.

• ..

So, you think that you will not be the same, one day? Think again; each generation does it.

• ..
      1 month agoReport

John, It happens from generation to generation;  I have 77 years of experience of it.

Back in my day, young whipper snappers kept their pie hole shut, and did what they were told! That's why we were great back then. Not like today, when young people can't read cursive writing, or read an analog clock. This country is getting dumber by the minute! You've proved my point John. I had it 11X worst then you.

• John1 month agoReport

There’s a difference between cursive writing and writing incoherent words...

• oikoσ

Let me see if I understand you. You have problems and older people suggest that you change your ways to make your life better. You refuse and call THEM stuck in their ways. Do I have that right?

• oikoσ
      1 month agoReport

And you don't know anything about us old farts, either, John. Why, when I was your age, we had to walk ten miles each way to and from school, through waist-deep snow and it was uphill both ways.