Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

Can you take your dog with you to malls/ cafes/ restaurants? If yes, what should you give them while you hang out or eat? ?

• .
    Favorite Answer

Depends on where you live. In my area, there are some restaurants and cafe's that have outdoor seating, that allow dogs (none allow them indoors). Our shopping mall does not allow them, but some stores do (home improvement stores, some pet stores, some boutiques in our downtown area). 

What should you give your dog when you're hanging out or eating? They don't need to be given anything, but if you feel the need you can take some of your dog's food or treats and have available (as well as a bowl for water). Otherwise, your dog should be trained to sit or lie quietly beside you while you're at the cafe, or should walk along with you while shopping (well behaved and not getting into anything).

Generally not. These are not suitable places for dogs other than service fogs. It is likely to stress your dog and annoy other customers. In many places dogs are not allowed unless service dogs. For many dogs this is bordering on cruelty.

No you cannot especially where food is being served....

• Ocimom

NO.  Most places only allow service dogs in such places - like those for blind, deaf people or wheelchair bound.  ESA's are NOT allowed to go wherever you want to go.

That would depend on exactly where in the world you live.    When visiting Switzerland, in towns alongside Lake Geneva, I saw many people with their dogs calmly laying under the table in some restaurants.  There is NO MESS in their towns (that I saw) and all their dogs were well behaved and under control.  It was the same in Austria.

However, although you can take a dog into the bar area in many pubs in the UK, in general dogs are not welcome and ditto for food shops and malls etc. unless the dog is a Seeing Eye dog.

I seriously doubt you can walk into a restaurant in N.America with a dog.  But others will let you know about that.

If your town has a restaurant called the Lazy Dog, you can, but even then, only outside, I believe. Some places, but not many, will allow your dog outside. I don't take my dog out to chill yet because he's not trained enough, but he will get there. My mom takes her dog to Lazy Dog once a month (they live in Southern Cali, they can do that) to socialize and get a meal (they have a doggie menu). 

So it depends. Some places are more dog friendly than others. Where I live, I can take my dog to a lot of places, free and clear, but I would never dream of taking him some place that he wasn't allowed.

• Maxi

Health and safety laws normally restrict dogs being taken into these places, so you need to read the laws where you live

Of course not. You should know that. You can take your dog with you to Home Depot & Lowe's & places like that but not anywhere where food is for sale. or Clothes that will pick up your dogs hair. Just use common sense.

If I saw you in Walmart I would stop you & talk about all the things I see that tells me that your dog is not a Service Dog. I get louder & louder & draw lots of attention.

• bluebonnetgranny
      1 month agoReport

Oh, no.  I'm just an old dog woman & everybody knows dog people are crazy.  Yeah, a bit eclectic, a bit neurotic, a bit old, a bit wise, a bit smart, a bit intelligent, a bit odd, strange.  But I know dogs.

Generally no you can't.  

Generally, no. Outdoor cafes/restaurants will often accept them.