Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 month ago

Why don't they teach cursive in Californian schools, anymore?

I am not sure if they teach cursive in other states, but in mine, they do not. It kind of sucks, because I pretty much only write in cursive unless I have to print. But if you write it, correctly, it is so pretty and neat. Why would they stop teaching us?

• 4 days ago

If you mean they're teaching printing but not cursive, they're crazy, because cursive is simply printed but faster because you don't lift your pen off the paper as often as when you're printing.

And I have to say that as a traditionally educated 70+ year old, it makes me ashamed and embarrassed to see that some of my North American friends print: to me, that's what kindergartners do while they're learning to write.

However, whatever the reason, one thing is for sure: once all these young folk have learned to rely totally on typing, they're going to be in real trouble when the Internet goes down - as it WILL one day, don't you ever doubt it.

experience in a Tx middle school,,great nephew,kid is one of five,ma's oldest is now career army,,married,, the littlest,alex,developed  neat script,like that of middle ages monks,,kind of old gothic,,but suuuuuuuuuuper neat and  quite legible,,school policy expressly on this,, there is none,,but one teacher demands the kid cease desist writing cursively and all work is computer typed and hard copies run off for homework,,kid was an all As & Bs student,high marks in comportment,cooperativity,just a nice kid great student loves the work

kid wanted to write longhand,printed or written in cursive,

teacher insisted he do what she wants,,suspended the kid for a week,ma was furious,,complained to the school,,nothing accomplished via phone,ma visits the schrool,,hollers at the teacher,,damn idiot teacher made one good kid into an angry frustrated school hater.

idiots like these are common in school systems,ANY school system or grade..they are impossible to fire,,sometimes merely transferred even in criminal issues,,protected by administrators. You might find a school with flexible policy on your writing as you prefer.

As to  mandatory use of computers for work in school,quite possibly

the teacher h/im/er/self cannot  write cursively cannot spell,punctuate, diagram a sentence

Cursive writing and printing involve use of arm hand wrist muscles,,other lessons in writing and reading are reinforced because multiple muscles engage,creating muscle memory,as batters and outfield baseball players do,

They're too busy teaching, correct punctuation. 

Schools no longer believe in self-control, self-discipline, and the need for developing the fine motor skills one needs in order to learn and use cursive well. Schools also think today's students will only type in the future.

I'm sure you've noticed, most schools don't use the McGuffey Reader any more. Old methods are invariably replaced by new techniques.

Beats me. I guess it was because some cultures in California were overwhelmed by cursive. So it was racist to teach it.

To a point. My dad never used cursive. He always printed anything he wrote. Beautiful print too as he was a draftsman in his younger days. He eventually became the head of a major marketing division on a large oil company.

My point, we don't need cursive to make it big in a career and life.

• oldprof
      1 month agoReport

No KS...a draftsman...they didn't have draftspersons in the 1930s.  And stop trying to be a smartass, it doesn't work for you.

No one writes very much by hand anymore. I couldn't tell you the last time I wrote something- and I've been printing since high school because my handwriting is so bad. Schools decided not to waste time on cursive anymore. BTW, cursive was never taught in many countries where the languages use the same alphabet. The only thing most people use cursive for is their signatures. 

As for "dumbing down"- it takes no real intelligence to learn to connect letters together. 

They want to dumb down the younger population. That makes it easier to manipulate them.