Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

Can I apply for an American passport if my brother is a citizen through naturalization?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Your brother's citizenship and how he got that is relevant to your own US citizenship, which is all that matters in you getting a US passport.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Not unless you're also a citizen... only citizens can apply for passports.

• 1 month ago

No, but your brother can sponsor you for immigration if he meets the income requirement.

https://www.uscis.gov/greencard/eligibility-catego...

• 1 month ago

Of course not. Your brother's naturalization has no bearing on your citizenship. You have no right to US citizenship or US passport.

IF your brother is willing & able to sponsor your immigration, as a US citizen, he can file a petition for your immigration. He must earn enough to support self, all dependents, plus you, and have a suitable home for you in the US. You must remain in your country of citizenship while awaiting your Priority Date to become current. Depending on your citizenship, at present, it's taking up to 25 years for Priority Date to become current so that the person being petitioned gets assigned to an immigration interview, biometrics appointment, etc.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Sure, if you do it by mail. It will be denied, of course, because you are not a US citizen. Your brother is a US citizen, so he can get a US passport.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No. YOU must be a citizen in order to get a passport. It is irrelevant if anyone else is a citizen.

• 1 month ago

If you are a US citizen, makes no difference what your brother is. You can apply for an American passport.

If you are not a US citizen, you can not get a US passport no matter what citizenship you brother has.

You see, you qualifying for a passport is predicated on you being a citizen of that country. Got absolutely nothing to do with the citizenship of your family.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Only American citizens can get an American passport, as you are not one you can not get one and certainly not based on your brothers citizenship

• 1 month ago

You can apply for anything you wish for.   I think you meant to ask; 'am I entitled to a US passport?' and the answer to that question is no so you would be wasting your money applying.  Everywhere on the planet you have to first be a citizen to be entitled to a passport. 

• 1 month ago

No, you cannot unless you are a citizen yourself.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.