Will I need chains driving from Kingman to Flagstaff?

On route 40. Will I need chains or anything? I'm gonna be driving a Honda Fit there and forums say the main roads doesn't get bad because it gets plowed right away so should I even get chains? They're so expensive 😭

Favorite Answer

No you don't need chains.  If it's snowing just slow down and drive carefully or stop and wait for the roads to cleared.

I put chains on a car once, 40+ years ago going down to Denver from Eisenhower tunnel on I-70 in Colorado.  Big mistake.  The chains ruined the inside of the fenders on the car and couldn't go faster than about 20mph.   

Lived in New England, where it really snows for the last 30 years and never used chains.  Just drive slow.

Be sure you have good tread on your tires though.

• Matthew1 month agoReport

Thanks I just got new tires for this trip so i guess it'll all be maneuvering.

It's going to depend on when you are driving.

For the next 10 days, there is light snow expected one day.  Thus, you won't need chains.  Last week, you would have.

• abdul

You may, especially around Flagstaff. If the roads are clear when you start your trip, and no new snow falls, you probably won't need them, but it's always a good idea to carry them with you in winter driving in the mountains.