Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

When are you considered "free" from your former apartment?

I live in Colorado, if that helps-

1. Lease was up August 31st. Before that, cleaned, took pictures, scrubbed the place entirely.

2. Got a check for partial deposit back on October 3rd (dated October 1st) and they took out some bogus charges, but nothing too crazy and I didn't fight them.

3. Someone else is currently living in my old apartment, the poor bastard.

It is now December 12th. Can I safely assume that they won't try and "hit me" with anything else? I've heard horror stories of people getting surprise bills like, 6 months after the fact, even WITH getting some security deposit back. I have looked up the laws in my state and they can't legally do anything after 60 days (and/or with present tenants occupied in the apartment) and it's been beyond that.

• DON W
    Favorite Answer

Yes, you are in the clear at this point.  Despite the "horror stories", once you are gone, all bills have been paid, and the landlord has taken care of the deposit, you can relax.  The landlord is now worrying about the current tenant, and not you.

It's over, you're done.

You're in the clear with the landlord. If they thought you owed more rent or damage then you wouldn't have gotten that partial deposit refund.

The only issue could be utilities - did you have any utilities accounts in your name such as electricity, water, or maybe internet/tv service?

If so, then you need to contact those companies and make sure the accounts were taken out of your name so you don't get a bill later on for 6 months worth of someone else's electricity or something.

• Maxi

If they charged you from the deposit and sent the rest back...... you are finished with that contract........... no one knows about the 'hooror stories' you have heard about however more than likely those also included breaches of contract by the tenant or damage beyond deposit they paid