What is the difference between a very good lawyer and an average one?

Hello, so I have a though VAWA case that I would like to start, however, my previous lawyer told me that she was conflicted to proceed with the case because I have been with my spouse for a short period before separating - it lasted like four months. She also said that she looked at my case at the very top level so she could only give advice and that I would need to retain new counsel to complete. Therefore, I searched for and see how she ranked and decided to go for a highly ranked lawyer so my question is now, do attorneys matter when considering who to hire for a though case? Sorry for my bad English is my third language.

• Foofa

A good one is more likely to thoroughly vet your case (and turn it down if it looks suspicious, which sounds like what happened here).

A very good lawyer will win more cases than an average one. On the same token, a very good lawyer can choose the cases they want to take on, so they usually make more money.

As to your VAWA petition, I don't see any issue with being married for only 4 months. I assume you got a conditional (2-year) Green Card and want to remove conditions. In that case you don't need to go the VAWA route. In any case you will have to prove that you had a bona fide marriage (meaning your marriage was real, not primarily entered into for immigration benefits), and in case of VAWA you also, in addition, have to prove that you are a victim of your spouse's domestic violence. That should be fairly easy as long as you have police reports of the abuse and most likely emergency room visits, but, again, it's not needed to go the VAWA route.

If you do not have a Green Card, but want to try to get one based on VAWA, you are swimming up stream, and I doubt any lawyer will take that on on a contingency base. You can pay them $350 an hour, but you'll most likely lose the case and be ordered to leave the United States. In that case, and after only 4 months in the US, it's best to return to your home country.

Source(s): An immigrant from Europe, I live on the American Riviera and work as an attorney in Santa Barbara, California.

Lawyers don't like to take loser-cases, and the higher their rankings/ratings, the less likely they are to look at loser-cases. Your marriage was very short, and on its face, immediately looks like a case of marriage fraud/immigration fraud. You apparently do NOT hold a permanent green card, and likely not even your conditional (temporary) GC yet. You are REQUIRED to return to your own country immediately upon failure of the marriage, whether separation, divorce, annulment, or leaving the family home!

Also consider that if your spouse is a serious abuser, the worst thing you can do is remain in the US. He can track you down anywhere as long as you remain in US. You remain in more serious danger than you were! You also need you family, friends, familiar environment to help you heal from this experience. Return to your own country immediately. You will ONLY be safe back in your own country. 

Source(s): worked with abused spouses & children

About $1,000 an hour.

Depends on how many cases each lawyer handles, his wins & losses, within 10 years.

• emmanuel1 month agoReport

Well, I am using a website called Avvo as a reference. The highly regarded attorney has 39 reviews from customers and all of them were satisfied fully with her service not to mention all the credential that she displays. In the other hand, the average lawyer is yet to be reviewed and scores a 6.8.

A very good lawyer has no morals -- an average one sometimes slips up on this ?

• emmanuel1 month agoReport

I see, I also believe that it is true that they are judged based on their performances and wins which explains why they cost more. I mean, with average I would have paid 70% of what I would with the very good one. thanks.