Macbook users: I'm having trouble viewing saved video files from my security camera. What software do you use?

I have downloaded the files from the SD card onto my laptop but I am unable to play them.

If I had a windows computer, the software that plays the video files is called "SD Card Video Player" but I am unable to find an Apple version of the software.

Does anyone have any suggestions or face similar problems?

Many Thanks for reading and any replies!

Hi All, 

Thanks for your responses. The files are .264 files which suggests that the video is encoded with H.264 which is the video part of MPEG4. (info from another user).

I've tried VLC/Quicktime and Elmedia Player but all did not work. 

Some camera software needs to export the files first. If you just copied them from the SD card, the format maybe incomplete. Thus the Windows application.  

Another way to do this, is to create a folder on the windows pc, share it (add everyone read permissions). Then, get your IP address, open come prompt, enter CMD and press enter.  iP should be 192,168.x.y..  on the Mac, open Finder window, then at the top click OPEN, and then network, enter the IP from pc here.  Copy over the files from the windows application where you export them. 

• P

You just download VLC player for Mac.  It plays literally every type of file.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

• Jinn Chow2 months agoReport

Thanks but VLC/Quicktime and Elmedia Player did not work. 

After you import the file then right click the file. From the shortcut menu that opens, choose Open With. You should see a submenu listing all of the other installed apps that your Mac thinks might be able to open the file.

Mac compatible Audio file and data formats AAC, AIFF, WAVE, uLaw, AC3, MPEG-3, MPEG-4 (.mp4, .m4a), .snd, .au, .caf, Adaptive multi-rate (.amr)Video file formats Supported by Macs AVI, AVR, DV, M-JPEG, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, AAC, OpenDML, 3GPP, 3GPP2, AMC, H.264, HEVC, iTunes (.m4v), QuickTime (.mov, .qt)

• KY-Clay
      1 month agoReport

Never heard of .264. You may have x264. The latest version of the VLC player will play x264 files. If you do not have the latest version try the latest. 

We need to know which video format the files are being saved in, my friend.

• Jinn Chow2 months agoReport

you are absolutely correct. The files are .264 files. I've updated my question. Thanks!

I think it would help to know what brand of camera you are using.. not all cameras store the same file formats.

• Jinn Chow2 months agoReport

the file format is .264 (not sure what that means or how to play it on a mac)