Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 1 month ago

How do bridesmaids get their dress?

I have 2 maid of honours, 6 bridesmaids & 1 junior bridesmaid and I want to take them to a store and choose with them but at the same time I don't want to take 9 people shopping with me because it seems a bit much. What do I do? What do most brides do?

To Creature, you missed the point, I want them to help me decide 

Favorite Answer

"I want them to help me decide"   You may think you want this, but likely what you really mean is that you want everyone to like the dress you choose.   That's probably not going to happen with that many people.  It will be very hard to find a dress that everyone wants to wear.  How will you handle disagreements?   Will you cave to the person who complains the loudest or will you cave to the person you like the best or will you insist on the dress that is YOUR favorite regardless of what they think?    Think long and hard about turning this decision in to a democratic one.  You do not want your wedding planning to turn into a circus that resembles the US Congress.

My advice:  If you want all the bridesmaids to wear the same dress, just pick the dress (with the help of your mum or MOH if you like).   Your bridesmaids should be polite and accept your decision.

If you want to pick the color and then let them choose their own dress, then just pick the color and off they go.  If having everyone like their dress is important to you, this might be the easiest solution with that many people. 

Good luck!

I would have all the dresses in the same color and allow them to each choose their own style.  It will be a bit much but you can have them all in the same place so you can most definitely have a say so in the choices...you should add your two cents.  Good Luck and congratulations.

Bridesmaids are always behind bride and wedding preparations in general.

Helping the bride in the preparations and the big day that finally comes is a praiseworthy one to acknowledge. But how should they dress?

Many articles talk about the importance of bridesmaids before and during the wedding day. This time, let's bring everything about your wardrobe.

• The first thing is to know that they can never stand out more than the bride, it must complement the bride's dress.

• Your dresses should match the party location, the type of wedding, the season, and the time you chose. In short, your cleavage, pleated, patterned or plain, one style or another, is part of the wedding and should be taken into account.

• Tradition and etiquette say no one should wear white on this day, nor black. However, many brides are choosing colors close to white or black for their bridesmaids to wear.

When choosing the dress, remember that each woman has a different body and everyone knows what suits her best. Try not to impose a single model on everyone. In this regard, there are several possibilities:

You choose the color and all models should be exactly the same color and tone, but each one with its best brand, model or bought at the same store or even made by a seamstress. When choosing a seamstress keep in mind that your service should be of quality, but there are good points as the dresses will be tailor made for the ladies, not to mention that when buying the fabric you run less risk of any dress going off the wrong shade, because the fabric is bought so that the footage should be for all ladies.

You can also choose a range of colors and each one decides the tone as well as the model you will use. You can give some coordinates like the long sleeve, or the details on the strap. But each will acquire the dress within their means.

You can choose a model or style, but with different necklines, dress placement, or some adornments that generally match the ceremony.

If you want total freedom in the locker room, it's always good to think of a supplement that can be the same for everyone: a shawl, a scarf, a bouquet of flowers or even a hairstyle. This will make them different from other guests. But remember, no hype! Let your ladies express what they would like to wear, and together come to a consensus, after all they will wear the dresses.

Call the bridal salon, make an appointment, and let the store know it will be a dozen people.  The store can then be prepared to host this number of people.

then lower your bridesmaids. you have too many people in your party anyways.

either that, or invite them all. the bridal place is used to it anyways.

also, pay for their dresses.

• sarah

I've been in two weddings, and both times, the brides took us all (six of us the most recent time and five the time before that) at once. If you go someplace like David's Bridal or another chain like that, don't be worried about it being "a bit much" -- the consultants do this every day with both large and small parties, and they're used to it.

• Eva

Go to the shop yourself (or with 1 or 2 others) and pick out a few dresses that you like. Take photos and send them to the others. When you've decided on "the" dress(es), the bridesmaids will need to go in to get fitted in order to get the proper size. It's a scheduling nightmare to try to get 10 people together.

• drip

Many brides just pick out 2-3 dresses then let the majority of votes of the bridesmaid pick the 1 dress.

You can go to the store and have a photo taken of yourself in the dresses, or pull stock imagines of them online.

My daughter picked the bridesmaid dress. Sent the pix to her bridesmaids and ask if they approved of the dress and the cost. Made it very clear of the cost was too much or the didn’t like the dress we would try again. Luckily they all loved it.

I was a bridal saleswomen at a bridal salon.  Do not let the bridesmaids loose to look at all of the dresses. Please trust me, this will not turn out well. Especially for nine bridesmaids.  

Pick out 2-3 dresses tops. Then let them choose.

You could take three at a time to see them and try them on.

• Kelly

I've been in weddings where I picked out my own dress (and was just given a color), I've been part of the selection of a bridesmaid dress in others and a couple I just was told where I needed to go get fitted for one that was picked out.

First, you need a budget for the dresses.  You get that by asking each girl how much she can afford for a dress and you pick out dresses based on the lowest price because then you're picking out a dress everyone can afford...   that will help lessen it being a financial hardship for anyone.

Second, also talk to them all about what styles of dresses they prefer and what they're unwilling to wear.

Yes, it's your wedding ...  but you want them in something they're comfortable with and that they can afford.

The entire village of bridesmaids really doesn't need to go to the bridal salon with you, just one or two of them.  Ideally people with different types of shapes so you can see how flattering a particular dress may be on different body types.

I too had a village of bridesmaids and took 3 of them with me.  All different shapes.

Most brides choose the dresses for the bridesmaids and then the bridesmaids go get fitted for the dress. It’s at your expense.

I’m a 30 year old, never married dude and even I knew that.lol

• Creature1 month agoReport

Never heard of it done that way. Where I’m from, the people getting married pay for their own wedding. All of it.